Sump advice..

So expensive! Sumps are super easy to build yourself. I even did it! Twice! In my opinion, any refugium is better than no refugium. So, no, it's not too small. But it would be so much cheaper for you to just buy an aquarium and silicone in the plexiglass baffles yourself.

I agree with Biff- I've built a couple myself- super simple. Look into getting some Weld-on 4 and you're practically done. That's a lot of dough for something you can have done in a couple hours. You can also have your glass guy cut it for you so all you have to do is glue it together.

Biff and FNG are right.You will save a lot of money by just building it yourself.
Not to mention,If you look at the sump you linked to.It really dont have room for a fuge and a skimmer both.

thanks for the advice, i can prolly get that done. I was looking into buying an aquarium and putting baffles in but the bottom of my tank stand was too narrow for even the 10g tanks i found.

Are there any glass thickness specifications i need to know or can i just go buy some glass and marine silicone?

You dont have to worry about glass thickness unless your building your own show tank.
Just get a tube of 100% silicone.Make sure its not the mold retarding kind.And you should be good to go.

Building your own sump/fuge is the way to go.If you do buy a sump,there are plenty that has a refugium built in.That one is just a plain berlin sump.

I also agree, I built a 10 Gallon sump for my 30. I think I spent a total of 20 bucks to build it. Just when you buy the silicone, make sure it is aquarium safe. Loc-tite silicone is. You also dont have to worry about the thickness, the baffles all have the same amount of water on both sides so no preasure differential. Just get regular glass from ACE or some other hardware store. It is cheaper then sheets of acrylic.

Brian

A sump is just a water holding container under your tank. There are not to many rules involved. They do not not always need baffles or other trick gimmicks. Sumps have developed into an object used for a lot of things: placement of skimmers, heaters, filter bags (such as charcoal), probes for thermometers and ORP and pH. and pumps for chillers, as well as pumps for circulation, placement of auto top off floats and the list goes on and on. What is important is what will you use the sump for and whether aesthetics is that important. Plenty of plastic trash cans have been used for sumps. There are double sumps, side by side and one above the other. A 5 1/2 gallon AGA tanks is only 8 3/8" wide. Sumps can provide a lot of service and are not very demanding of requirements.

well my main desire for a sump is for a refugium. i want to be able to raise pods mainly and possibly get some plants after i get it lighted

I am an advocate of refugiums being above main display tanks with small pump pumping skimmed water to refugium with overflow from refugium flowing by gravity to main display tank. That is the cheapest and most trouble free way to run a refugium. They do have to be interesting enough for viewing, which is easy with refugiums. A light would be required for either type of refugium if you planning on growing plants (macro algae) in your refugium. However an overflow system, drain system and return system for a under tank system would be more expensive. For a below tank refugium a good overflow will run in the range of $100, your pump would cost approximately twice as much, as well would the rest of your plumbing. I would suggest unless you want to install your heater(s), a skimmer and other things below your tank to make the cost and labor, thinking/planning time worthwhile that you set up a separate miniature display tank as a Refugio. Above and to one side is the most common arrangement. You would then have no limitation as to size. Just my opinion though. Sump Refugio's arrangements work out well, but you still have to shoe them into your stand. What are your full inside dimensions of the inside of your stand to include the height? I would not suggest the expense needed for an overflow, larger pump and plumbing if you can not shoe horn in options other than just refugium though. Do not let me bum you out though, as almost anything that is wanted can usually some how be had.

well i have no way to put it "above" the dt and am quite confused by how and why you would do such a thing..

anywho thanks for the thoughts, i bought a regular 10g tank for about 10 bucks from walmart tonight. gonna read up on some stuff get it cleaned out for when i do decide to go forward with it. It fits in my tank cabinet nicely and seems to be the ideal size refug for my 55g. (according to the refug article ) It will be a work in progress seeing as how i dont even have rock in my DT yet and my skimmer hasnt arrived.

Last edited:
So a 10 gallon tank will fit in your stand. Refugiums are interesting and full of life not found in most display tanks. This makes them of contrasting interest and therefore they deserve viewing. Actually I have seen some ignored refugiums full of more interesting lifeforms than some of the mismanaged reef tanks put on display. A lot of reef tanks are pretty sterile looking whereas refugiums look more natural and wild like nature. Refugiums were in use when people were pulling there dead coral out of their tanks every month and soaking them in bleach. Hang on refugiums are nice but more trouble prone. Why would somebody want to hide away a refugium. My opinion: sumps belong in stands , refugiums should be on display. But, alas I am an *sshole, and pretty close to a sociopath.

Last edited:
ok i have put a lot of thought into your "display refugium" idea. Next to my tank I have a narrow table , which would put any refugium i placed there about even with my DT. How would i get water laterally into the refug while looking good. Aesthetics are a big deal to me, I dont want to have tubes or PVC running around everywhere.

I think you can almost see the table im talking about in some of my pics in the Rainers 55 post in the tank builds thread.

That is a beautiful stand! Their is really no cheap or reasonable way to have a display refugium unless the high water level (overflow level) of your refugium is above the water top surface level of your main display tank. If the level of the refugium is below that level you would need to pump the water up to your main tanks top. With the refugium sitting on the table shown you would essentially have the same thing as a refugium inside your cabinet (equipment and cost wise anyway). The only difference would be its visibility. I doubt you would be pleased with a refugiums equipment being so much in site in said arrangement. If you do have enough room under your tank in the cabinet you would probably prefer it aesthetically as nearly ever thing would be hidden behind the tank and within the stand. You would be able to see the top of a siphon overflow unit and its skimmer box inside of the main tank, but they, in general, are usually considered more acceptable to look at than tubes, hoses or piping in most peoples opinions. The least obtrusive method of plumbing water to a tank below your main tank is through a hole that would have to be drilled in your tank wall. This is easy and inexpensive, but should really be done to an empty tank. If overall you are considering aesthetics important you will probably want to put your heater(s) and other accessories below your display tank also. If that is the case you will want to make a combination sump/refugium. This is simple to do. You would remove water from your main tank through a siphon mechanism or through an overflow bulkhead. Before the drain pipe reached the tank below you would split the flow so that a small portion of your water went inti your refugium. The water from this would overflow a partition into your sumo where the main flow from your tank drains. the combined water would overflow a second partition int a return chamber where a pump would pull water to be pumped back up to pump. I do not remember what you wanted to keep in your tank, but assuming it is principally live rock and fish, means even a 10 gallon tank would be adequate for a pump large enough to provide all the circulation flow your tank would need. So you would not even have to look at power head pumps, if you choose not to. If your intent is to keep coral I would advise you get a protein skimmer. This would make for a small refugium if you put the skimmer in the refugium/sump tank but a skimmer in general is much more capable of handling large fish and coral loads and inexperience reef keepers. Coral tanks are kept by some home aquarists with success but your really limited in what you can and cannot keep and you have to keep the amounts of fish to a small amount and feed very sparingly and be real good about doing water changes. A skimmer is usually a higher priority with more people than a refugium which is why I speak of a refugium/sump combination. Typical installations for sumps and sump/refugiums is the largest size tank you can fit in your stand. I do not mean to discourage you, but just let you know it is a procedure that should be well thought out and planned. Impulsiveness in the marine/reef trade you later means spending money to replace spur of the moment measures, and/or settling for less than you really desire or need. You might check out wet web media, as another source of good material. It is a much larger site with much more material. It is a colder less personal site but the site monitors answer all questions, supply articles and are all known writers and researchers in the marine and reef aquarium trade. You do have to go through a lot of material to extract the information you want, but questions will be answered that you never even would think to have asked. The least amount of pipe you could possibly have showing betwween the two tanks would be two pipes. One out the back of your display tank and across to the top of the near side of the refugium tank. You would need a second pipe to come out ot the top rear of thr refugium where it can drop down and then run behind the back of the tank across to behind the display tank where it would then rise up to run over the back of the tank and into the water. In an under the stand tank you would just see the overflow, as in the other set up, and end of the pipe run going into the tank. Everything else would be behind the tank or within the tank stand. Now this is long winded. Like a Wet Web right up.

wow, just wow. Awesome info there, gives me a lot to think about!

I got the 10g tank the other night and it fits well under my stand. After reading your post Ive decided to go ahead and make the 10 g a sump and fuge. Here is a newbish diagram i made, how should i arrange the baffles regarding height to make them flow correctly. IE: the water from the fuge flow into the sump and out, but keep the sump water out of the fuge....or is that important?

bleh forgot the sump diagram, here it is..

sump_fuge.jpg

Make the first baffle (next to the fuge) the tallest, about 8 to 10 inches tall. The baffle between the the sump and pump about 6 inches. It would be nice to put a third baffle in the that has a 1 inch gap at the bottom an that extends to same height as the first (tallest) baffle. This bafflwe would be to the left of the approximately 6" partition. This is to get rid of bubbles from Skimmer if it is placed in sump or dischareges into sump. The pump compartment only needs to be wide enough to contain return pump (if pumps is submersible). I do not know what (right off hand) you are using for a skimmer so I can not help you with the widths of each compartment, other than to say if you are going to hang a HOB on the refugium/sump do not make the sump compartment any larger than needed to contain what is needed for skimmer. Go for as large a refugium as possible. Keeping the wall next to your pump low will allow for holding water that will drain back to sump during power outages.

Last edited:
where in the sump/fuge combo do i want my skimmer? do i want it to skim the water as soon as it arrives? if its placed after the fuge wont it take out some of the pods before they get to the DT? my main purpose for the fuge is to provide pods to the DT so i want to make sure i give them the best chance to make it there.

Back