Sump advice...

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
I am very close to set up. Here is the story so far. My stand is almost ready and the largest tank I can accommodate in the stand is 26"L x 18"W x 16H. This gives me room for roughly a 33 gallon tank. I plan on setting it up as follows: 1st chamber from DT w/ Skimmer Vertex N100 Dimm. 8" x 10", 2nd chamber Refugium, 3rd chamber Return with Mag9.5.

My question is how big should each of my sections of the sump be.

Other info of my set up is 70 Gallon DT 36"L x 18"W x 24"H
Tank is drilled on bottom and fitted with 1" Bulkhead. Built in overflow is offset center.

If I could throw out 1 more ? I was going to put a bubble trap in the sump, what would be the best place for it.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Also make sure your 3rd chamber (with the return) is large -- about 1/3 of the sump should be ideal. All of the evaporation will take place from there, so if it is small, water level will drop quickly and your pump will run dry. The bigger it is, the more water can evaporate before you have to refill it.

Unfortunately I will not be able to dedicate that much space for the return, I am installing an ATO system in the sump so I hope that will be enough to take care of any evaporation that will occur. My Skimmer has a decent sized footprint so my chambers are going to have to be 101/2" wide for the skimmer section and 10" wide for the Refugium and 6" wide for the return.

The sections are not as big as I would like but they will be 18" deep front to back. I will also be installing a T fitting with ball valve back to the first section of the sump to help dial in the flow if needed. I will also have another ball valve for the return to the DT.

I also have a possible backup plan. I have a friend with a Coralife super skimmer 125 with a smaller footprint. So I might buy it or trade him for mine, his is not in use anymore. Anyone have any opinions about the Coralife Skimmer?

If anyone has any super fantastic ideas on how I can configure a 3 chamber sump with the dimmensions 26"L x 18"W x 16H I would love to hear them keep in mind that my skimmer has a footprint of 8" x 10" .

Thanx for all the input so far.

Last edited:
Back