sump build try 2!

siejack8484

Reefing newb
after a couple months of my 1st attempt was a fail i figure ill give it another shot. i couldnt get the sump setup so it wouldnt completely drain the return section so im goin to try my work wit pvc pipe lol so after about an hour at home depot got all plumbing suplies i hope. hopefully this works or im done wit this whole sump idea all together. so hopefully it goes well n i will post an update:D

i didnt have no pics or anything. but my 1st attempt was flex tubing wit no control valve so it just drained my return section on my sump. so this time im using pvc wit a control valve so once it starts to drain i can turn the water flow down......

that being said the easy part is done, cementing the pvc together now the hard part waiting for it to dry!

Ah yes, that would be a problem. You need to have a ball valve after your return pump. Good luck, and post any questions you have along the way!

ok so it still not workin idk wats goin on. the return section still keeps draining very slowly.
my only thoughts is because i have a 1 inch intake n i watch the water in the tube n it doesnt even fill the line. it constintly flows but not as much as i thought it would. any ideas??

Could you post some pictures?

I am having a hard time following what is going on, but from your description of it not even filling up the pipe, I owuld have to say the return section of your sump is too small. The pump is draining that section out before the water reaches the tank.

Could it be that maybe there is not enough water? or that the overflow cannot drain fast enough to keep up with the pump (if this were the case I would think that you would overflow the display)

Did you put a valve on the overflow, if you did open that puppy up all the way.

+1 BJ - post pictures if we can

Check out melevsreef.com for design ideas

ok still not too sure on whats goin wrong here. but my intake line is not fully clogged like the article said, it only gets halfway filled wit the water drainin from the overflow down to the sump. idk if that means my overflow box is too slow for my return pump or the return pump is jus too powerful. i have a 1inch intake and a 3/4 inch return line from what i was told this would have been right for my setup but sumtin inst goin right. i hope this 1 make more sense i cant get pics right now

What size return pump are you using? Sounds like it is too strong of a return. Your best bet is to do what Biff suggests and put a ball valve in the return line between the pump and tank, and start to close it off. Other than that, you may want to get another pump with a lower GPH reteurn rate.

From my understanding of the situation, this is what it sounds like to me...

If the water level lowers in the return section, but the display does not over flow you may not have quite enough water in the system. The return section is the only area where you will look like you are losing water either to lack of water or from evaporation.

The overflow can only drain at a maximum as much water as the return pump puts out. If you are not overflowing the display then it sounds like the overflow is actually handling the water flow.

idk than i give up on a sump if it drains again im throwin it out. i see videos on youtube n there all running fine mine setup like alot of them so i dont see wat im doin wrong for mine to be messed up

It is extremely difficult to tell what's wrong if we can't see pictures. Can you post pics for us? Even if you just take them on your phone. I'm positive we can figure out what's going wrong here -- there's no reason for you to throw the sump out, the problem is fixable, I promise!

well i got it figured out!!!!! my display tank looked filled but there was about an inch an a half to the actual top so i added more water to my diplay tank n it worked it self out. i jus got to keep adding water when it evaporates so it stays running good. but now my damn protein skimmer is messed up n i cant figure that thing out now!
i cant win

If by messed up you mean blowing micro bubbles, try giving it a couple of days and it may work itself out. Glad that it was just a low water issue.

Good Luck :Cheers:

Back