sump design question

guarda

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,

With the limited space in my stand, I built this sump that fits perfectly and am wondering if anyone had any ideas on how and where I should build a spot for my chaeto. Here's a terrible shot of the sump so far. Thanks for any input. :)

fmsb36.jpg

Last edited:
Ideally, it should be in any chamber that the return pump is not :) Otherwise you'll have problems with a clogged pump :)

Yes, I agree. The bio chamber was actually an afterthought and I sort of regret not planning it into my sump design. I was thinking maybe a 6" cube suspended on the inner right wall of the left side and have a y line from the return pump push water though. What do you think?

Inside the general area (where you place LR) place a partitioning glass and use the separate space!

Also being at front could be easier to remove. But you need keep in mind the placement of lighting.

Ah, I forgot to mention. I have no floor space left. Skimmer, return pump, and other small things take up almost all the little room I have.

Inside the general area (where you place LR) place a partitioning glass and use the separate space!

Also being at front could be easier to remove. But you need keep in mind the placement of lighting.

use a tray on top of a chamber that does not need to be accessed frquently, ie on top of return pump chamber.

Basically you instead of building a larger house you go with idea of a high rise condo,

make it movable.

You may as well want to build an algae scrubber!

26 gallon up top. Not sure I really need it. Haven't had algae issues in my 20gal apart from the 4 month cyano syndrome. Definitely looks interesting though. Reading up on it.

ok for 26 gal most likely won't worth it the effort.

The sump looked way bigger at first glaze!

Go with tray and put the light on top of it.
You may take an output of your return pipe (to avoid having extra pump) and then use a pipe for return to avoid water fall sound.

Also use a valve in order to control the flow into chateo

Yep, that's what I was planning. I already have the valve. Thanks for the tips!

ok for 26 gal most likely won't worth it the effort.

The sump looked way bigger at first glaze!

Go with tray and put the light on top of it.
You may take an output of your return pipe (to avoid having extra pump) and then use a pipe for return to avoid water fall sound.

Also use a valve in order to control the flow into chateo

Back