Sump design thoughts

Kizmar

#derpface
I'm currently in the process of pitifully copying d2mini's sump setup (or some of it anyway).

Because of space constrains, I'm using a 100 gallon Rubbermaid with two 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck totes for my refugium/frag bin and my skimmer bin. Yes, I plan on running both. ;)

I'm still trying to narrow down details on what I want in the refugium bin. I'm thinking 2-3 inches of substrate - not sure if I want to use sand or crushed coral. Also, several small pieces of LR and a clump of cheato. The bin is 16.5" deep, so I'm hoping there will be room for all this and a frag rack towards the top. The idea behind this is to have the bin packed with pods that can be eaten by the frags as well as make their way into the display tank.

Are there any opinions about this? Are there other things I can do with this bin to make it more beneficial to the water quality?

I was also tossing around the idea of planting some Mangroves too, but don't know much about them.

Lastly, should the display tank overflow run straight into the refugium, or should it get water that has already been through the skimmer bin... OR should I run reactor water into the refugium bin like d2mini appears to be doing with his?

The general consensus these days is that there's no real benefit to a sand bed unless it's 6" deep or more. Most keep a shallow one in their tanks for the needs of certain fish and some invertebrates, but in a sump you're better off with no sand bed or a deep one.

If you choose to do a DSB, however, make sure it's plumbed in a way as to be easily removed from the system. Do your research if you go this route. A disturbed DSB can nuke your tank.

Otherwise, you're better off without any.

In regards to the overflow, it shouldn't run into the refugium. You want this to be a pod haven, and they like lower flow. You also don't want the refugium to be the first place detritus collects. Better a place you can take a shop vac to.

Last edited:
... If you choose to do a DSB, however, make sure it's plumbed in a way as to be easily removed from the system. Do your research if you go this route. A disturbed DSB can nuke your tank.

Otherwise, you're better off without any.

I'm 99% sure I don't want to do a DSB because of the gasses it can produce.

So is there anything inherently wrong/bad with using a couple inches of substrate, or is it just simply not needed?

In regards to the overflow, it shouldn't run into the refugium. You want this to be a pod haven, and they like lower flow. You also don't want the refugium to be the first place detritus collects. Better a place you can take a shop vac to.

Good points.

In refugium, It's just not needed. Some liverock,cheato and a light are really you need.

I'd also use something like a Maxi-jet 1200 or even a 900 to pump water from the sump and let it overflow back into the sump. Buy that's just my own personal 2 cents.

Back