sump design

chbix

Reefing newb
So ive looked at alot of vids and pics and drawings of peoples sump designs while figuring out mine.

So far from left to right im going to have an intake area where my protein skimmer will be, then to a refuge area, then into my return pump area.

My question is do I need a bubble trap between the intake and fuge and also between the fuge and return area? Or do I just need one from the fuge to the return area? Some people have both others just one.

Ok next question on return pump, most look like they come with 3/4" outlets, is it worth it to go up to a 1" pipe for the return line or just keep it at 3/4 for the whole thing? Im possibly thinking of making the returns a "surge" type that spin around using a DIY thing I found on the internet for better chaotic flow.

You could do either. I kept mine 3/4". But it doesn't make a difference if you get an adapter to make it 1" if there's something else you want to put at the end of it.

How do the pods get to the display if there is a bubble trap between the fuge and return.The only place you need a bubble trap is after the skimmer section.

Are you talking about microbes or copepods?Copepods can't past through a sponge/bubble trap.Look at any pre-fabricated sump or people who build there own.The majority does not have a bubble trap between the fuge and return section.

Copepods swim and climb the glass in your DT, if they can do it there why would they not be able to swim up in a bubble trap

Are you talking about microbes or copepods?Copepods can't past through a sponge/bubble trap.Look at any pre-fabricated sump or people who build there own.The majority does not have a bubble trap between the fuge and return section.

Not true at all.

Look at Melev's designs. There's a bubble trap before the return.

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Google "refugium design" -- almost all of the 3-section ones have a bubble trap between the fuge and the return.

refugium design - Google Search

I've have looked at Melev's sumps.Heck,I even almost had him build one for me and talked to him on the phone.The majority of his sumps has no bubble trap between the return and fuge.Only odd designs where he felt a bubble trap was needed did he add one.

This was the exact one it was going to build for me except at the time he was too far behind schedule.
Melev's Reef - Sump Model G

Who said anything about a sponge? A sponge is not a necessary component of a bubble trap. Using a bubble trap negates the need for a sponge.

Micro-bubbles can travel up and down a bubble trap.If you have a bubble trap after the skimmer then why have another after the fuge?The point is you can but why.Unnecessary baffles that takes away needed space if you ask me.

Back