Sump/Fuge help

D_Ahumada

Reefing newb
Alright, I'm thinking Sump/Fuge at the moment and I need a little advice. So here's my situation.

Currently I am running a 29G with about 60-65# LR.
I have two heaters, a Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer, 2 Hydor Koralia pumps going (can't remember the exact sizes ATM, one larger and one smaller), and 2 coralife T-5 series double linear strips. One is 24" (miss measure when I ordered) with Colormax Full-Spectrum and 6700K lamps. The other is a 28" with an actinic and 10,000K lamp installed.

I am only housing what my LFS defined as 2 "Clumps" of macro algae, an Emerald Crab, an assortment of red and blue hermit crabs (which have been a little cannibalistic recently :( ) Two peppermint shrimp (used as a natural way to remove some apastia) 1 Turbo Snail, and an assortment of two other kinds of snails. (most of this was sold as a "cleaner package" at my LFS) I also have a single piece of what my LFS guy said was lettuce coral. I am hoping to expand this, but I'd like to get the rest of my system up first.

I should also mention that I may have to move in the next six months, and when I do, given I have the extra $$ I am hoping to upgrade my main tank to a 55G minimum, and larger if I can find one on CL. So if I did that, my current 29 would also become a fuge or sump.

I'll try to get pictures when my camera stops acting up.

Well, now that you know what is in there time to get to the question.

Currently I have a 10G tank that I am thinking of turning into a frag tank/ empty frag tank for a while.

Beneath my stand I have an open area that is about 40.5" Wide, 13.5", Deep and 20.5" tall.

I am considering using that area to house a sump or refugium, but like everyone else, I really can't spend too much money on it.

I'm basically a beginner, I've done my research but I always feel like there is something missing when I read up on the two options. So here's what I know maybe you guys can help me fill in the blanks. Please feel free to assume I don't know anything, I wouldn't want to miss some small detail that is "common knowledge". Other than the forums I'm basically operating in a vacuum here. No one I know owns an aquarium, so I'm on my own. I think there is a couple that works at one of our LFS, but somehow we always work the same hours, so I never get there when they are working.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

First, a refugium is a better choice if I am trying to improve water quality, whereas a sump really just increases stability as it increases the volume of the tank.

A refugium can house things not able to hold their own in the main tank.

I am leaning toward a fuge, so let's go from there.

What do I need to do in order to set one up? Ideally another 29 g tank would go under there, but at the moment, the best I have available is an 18 G rubbermaid tub.

Would it need nearly as full lighting?

I'm pretty handy, but pluming is new to me, so what would I need to do in order to plumb a system like this? ( I am hoping to have the frag tank, the main tank, and the fuge all on one system.)

I would need to keep the two tanks separated while I cycled the LR in the fuge right? So how would i handle the plumbing so I could do that?

How do you prevent overflow from one tank to another, since one would be directly below the other, wouldn't the plumbing act like a siphon and the water all try to get to the lower tank?

Ok and after that I'm not sure what else to ask so I'll leave it off there.

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps out.

what you would need is an overflow box which then leads to the plumbing, only letting a certain amount of water through. from there you match your pump to the amount of water coming down your overflow box. a fug is a betteridea as the macro algae and deep sand bed will remove nitrates from the water.

you will not need as much lighting as you onpu need to give the algae enought light to grow. this is as detailed as i can get atm because I'm on my phone, so forgive anything that didn't get written properly.

Back