Sump Help

Adam Picard

Reefing newb
I am gonna be building a 20 gal Long sump but I need help with figuring out how many baffles to put in and where.

I have drawn up an Idea but I cant upload the pic from my work computer. Can anyone help me out with one of there pics that I could compair mine to?

my plan from right to left is:

Intake / skimmer - choae - bubble trap - return

You should change it up a little. Do the intake/skimmer -bubble trap - chaeto - single plexiglass barrier -return pump

Theres no real set sizes for each section. You'll need to make the skimmer section big enough to fit the skimmer and what ever other equipment you want to put in the section. For the return section, you just need to remember it's where you'll see all the evaporation, you you want to make it big enough that your pump won't run dry if it's not topped off after 2-3 days.

When I was running a 20L sump, I had my skimmer section 9" wide and the return was 7".

Theres no real set sizes for each section. You'll need to make the skimmer section big enough to fit the skimmer and what ever other equipment you want to put in the section. For the return section, you just need to remember it's where you'll see all the evaporation, you you want to make it big enough that your pump won't run dry if it's not topped off after 2-3 days.

When I was running a 20L sump, I had my skimmer section 9" wide and the return was 7".

Ok...ill draw it out tonight after I pick up the tank.

Whats the average top-up time for a tank 5 days?

Honestly, it is different for everybody. In my tank I've got to add 1/2 to 1 gallon of top off water every day.

Ok so I got my sump all assembled last night gonna be leak checking it tonight should I wait 1 more night before I start up my tank?

I waited just to be sure it was completely dry. Also, when you leak test it you may have a small leak or two between the sections. If you do, don't worry about it, they don't have to be totally leakproof.

I would ( if you have room under your tank ) invest in a auto top off system, you can get a float valve off e-bay for way cheep ~ 10$ and set that up with a 5 gallon bucket or something that way you only have to refill the 5 gallon bucket every 3 or 4 weeks and you water levels will always be the same. Tons and Tons of you tube videos out there

I would ( if you have room under your tank ) invest in a auto top off system, you can get a float valve off e-bay for way cheep ~ 10$ and set that up with a 5 gallon bucket or something that way you only have to refill the 5 gallon bucket every 3 or 4 weeks and you water levels will always be the same. Tons and Tons of you tube videos out there

There's no way a 5 gallon bucket will last 3-4 weeks, it'll last a week at most.

You're lucky then, I lost 1/2 gallon a day in my 28g ... Also if you ran a sump you'd have more evap then you have right now.

Ok so I just finished assembling my pump and skimmer for my sump will be leak testing it an 1 hour.

I should have my tank ready to get water and live rock by tomorrow. What I need to know is a 65 gal tank is recomended 250watt heater do I put a 250 watt heater in my sump or a smaller one cause of the smaller area?

I have never been a fan of one heater in a tank .. they break more then any other thing we put in them.. I would go with two 125 watt heaters so if one breaks you can keep a temp while you get a new one..

I have never been a fan of one heater in a tank .. they break more then any other thing we put in them.. I would go with two 125 watt heaters so if one breaks you can keep a temp while you get a new one..

ok but do they both go in the sump? if so where?

sry should have told you .. make sure you set them so they come on and off at the same time.. evrey heater is just a little different and you will need to adjust the temp on them to get them working in conjuntion with eachother....:D

Back