Sump Noise

kev651

Reefing newb
I got a Mag #5 for my 72G tank and got the ball valve installed...When the water flows from the overflow into the sump to the sock it is realllllly loud...is there some kind of silencer that someone has found or maybe run a PVC pipe down into the water? Also on that pump there is a clear line that comes from the output nipple....what is that used for? Check out pics

Attachments

• 20130506_211203.jpg
    20130506_211203.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 296
  • 20130506_211139.jpg
    20130506_211139.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 288
That Clear line is For skimmer use, Remove it. That's so if you plan on using the pump for a skimmer. You must be getting crazy micro bubbles using it. Also to bring down the noise you can use A PVC pipe and make it go down under the water line maybe about 2 inches from the bottom. That's what I did and I also drilled holes around the PVC pipe under the water level To help.

sounds like a good idea... surprisingly I'm really not getting to many bubbles..so when i buy my skimmer and it doesnt have a pump then I can connect it there?

sounds like a good idea... surprisingly I'm really not getting to many bubbles..so when i buy my skimmer and it doesnt have a pump then I can connect it there?
You will have to have a pump for the skimmer as well. There are differnent types of skimmers and pumps for skimmers. A lot of skimmer pumps need that air line to suck air to promote bubbles.

Back