Sump Nooooob

Melanie

Reefing newb
I'm about to get a 120 gallon tank and I've been encouraged to built a sump. While I do not think I sump is a bad idea (i would love to have one...) I'm nervous about having my tank drilled. And with the circumstances of me getting my new aquarium I am unable to drill the tank. I was wondering if there was any way of building a sump without having to modify the original glass? Thank you!

You can get an overflow box... but why do that if your tank is still dry get it drilled! Its soo much easier and you won't have this honkin box hanging over the back of your tank and worry about siphon.

Others have had similar feelings as you being nervous about drilling their tank but then some even do it themselves after seeing how easy it is.

Is your tank Acrylic or Glass?

+1 Ulta, your LFS or nearby glass shop can probably drill those holes for you for a small fee and in less than 20 mins. If you're feeling uneasy about it, it's probably best left to the professionals.

You say you are about to get a 120 is it used or new? If you are still shopping hold out for the tank you want and that will suit your livestock needs the best. Can you buy the same tank pre drilled? IMO go with a pre drilled build a sump (my future plans). That 's why there are so many used tanks out there once bitten by the bug the upgrades begin. There is so much to learn and mistakes can be costly. Good Luck

+1 toolman

If you havent bought the tank yet, get it pre drilled. It might cost more, but you will have piece of mind. Especially since even profesionals doing the drilling can break the glass.

Don't get me wrong guys, I know how beneficial having a drilled tank & sump is. However in my situation I am unable to have the tank drilled seeing as I will not be the only owner to it. I don't think I'll be able to run a sump however, because the over flow boxes seem like too much of a risk. Thanks for all the replies!

Back