Sump or lights

MoLaw

Reefing newb
I have to choose between one or the other, Whats the verdict get lights or sump. I do not have corals or anything else yet but I would not mind getting some in the future. Thanks

MoLaw

SUMP!!!! I started the same way, regular lighting will be just fine with a FOWLR set up. From there just plan your tank to where you want to end up. The maturation process (cycling) will already be done and if done right- won't kill your wallet!

It depends on what you want first. Lots of fish or lots of corals. Many people got into the hobby for corals. Myself, I am in it for the fish.

Fish create tons of waste and need a skimmer and lots of filtration to keep the water clean. If you are looking to stock up on fishes, go with a sump and skimmer so you can keep your water clean.

If you fancy corals, go with the lighting. I am running 90 gallon with tons of corals and just a few fish. I only have HOB filters, no UV and no skimmer. But the lights are quality. It is up to you and what you want.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Doc is right on the money. If you want fish, go with a sump. If you want corals, go with lights. Remember, you can always set up the sump now and buy lights later on when you have the $$ for them.

don't get bullied around now, do what YOU want; sump or lights. Don't be afraid to be different, just not stupid different, like putting a Sohal in a 4 gallon tank or something.

-Doc

Personally you can have a successful reef without a sump but you can't have a successful reef without good lights.

I say go lights.

The key to it all is to take your time, do your research, ask a ton of questions, then make your choice... Keep in mind when you make your purchases, you get what you pay for, if you go cheap you may regret it later when you are replacing the unit, being lights, sump, pumps...etc... Have fun with it...

Do the same thing Yote does when voting for the picture of the month. Put two pieces of paper in a hat, and randomly draw one. That will determine sump or lights.

You guys rock!! Thanks for all the advice, I have not made up my mind yet so I guess I will just wait until one or the other becomes a necessity. I just received a $700 bonus and it is burning a hole in my pocket:bounce:

actually, with $700. Let's see. You can get an 8 bulb, 48in fixture of T-5s for right about $450 plus shipping, leaving you just enough to get a sump. I think you can do both. Start shopping around for deals, but I bet you can do both

-Doc

Back