Sump or lights

OK I think I a m going to do lights and corals. I do have to put some of the cash towards Christmas so let’s say I have $400. What would you recommend for lights and beginner corals? Also what evre coral you recomend what do I need to feed them and any special considerations? Thanks again!!

55 gallon tank
45 lbs of live rock
40 lbs of live sand

Low PH 7.9 right now
water temp around 79
calcium kind of low right now

Last edited:
First, you should get more live rock. Aim for up to 100 lbs in your tank.

If you are going to get corals, you will need to get your water parameters in check. your pH needs to be raised to around 8.2 to 8.4 and your calcium needs to get up to 400 to 500.

As for lights, check out T5s. They are the BEST for someone on a budget. What corals you'll be able to keep will depend on what lights you get, but in general, the best ones to start off with are zoanthids, mushrooms, xenia and leathers. None of these need to be fed anything or need any special care.

Lets go with your budget of $400:
Are we talking about a budget of $400 for everything or just lights?Go ahead and get your pH and calcium up to where they should be.(pH 8.3,calcium 380-450ppm)

1)I would go ahead and add at least 20 more pounds of live rock.That should at least put you over the one pound per gallon.Remember the live rock will be your main biological filter.Of course more closer to two pounds per gallon would be better.

2)Lights:
Budget minded then go Nova Extreme 4x54w(bulbs included and lunar)....around $215 at Dr. Fosters.This light should allow you to keep many different corals but maybe not all.

Non budget minded then go Aquactinics(5x54w),it does not come with the bulbs or lunar lights but it does have individual reflectors which is the single most important option which looking for T5's.$450 with bulbs from Premium Aquatics.

What about skimmer?I don't remember ever hearing anything about one.

Yup I have a super skimmer that has been running about 2 weeks. I am getting muck but I still having trouble getting the level just right. Some times the cup fills to fast with dirty water other times foam muck just collects on the side of the tube going to the cup.

If your looking at the nova extreme at foster and smith, they also have the same light I have (the one some one recommended above) but double the lights, and power. Instead of 4 T5 bulbs, its got 8, and twice as many watts, 432. Mine is pretty bright, I cant imagine how awesome that light would be, 400$ exactly. 200 for mine.

that is the kind of light I have. It is awesome. My clam looks sooooo good under them.

-Doc

They are [SIZE=-1]definitely great lights for the money. I'm almost scared at how bright the one with 8 bulbs would be. This one is really bright and everything looks great. Maybe on a 75 or something that is also 48" long.
[/SIZE]

Back