sump problem

cwag001

Reefing newb
Here's my problem the siphoning tube is too strong, my pump can't keep up, the water level keeps on decreasing, how do I maintain a balance, is there a valve I can get its on a 3/4 sift plastic vinyl tubing thanks for your help

If its draining faster than your return pump can return it, you really should get a larger return pump. I don't think restricting the siphon would be a good idea

It's 550 gph, and for my overflow, I'm not really sure what it is, all I know is I have two tubes coming out of my tank and in my 20 gallon sump tank

Usually an overflow is pretty self-regulating. As long as the return pump is doing something the overflow should be matching the rate. Can you post a picture of what yours looks like?

u need a bigger pump.

+1 cheeser

The pump is not making the grade because of head height, pipe size, and/or pipe shapes fluid dynamic losses.

One or more of these has to change:

pump size or type (gallons and head height out put)
pipe size
pipe shape
height to pump to

550 gph is quite small for a return pump. Especially considering that in general, the smallest overflows are 650 gph. You need something that is at least 650 gph.

My problem in this problem is the overflow\siphon is out running the pump. I just built a PVC overflow on my tank to feed the wet dry filter below the tank (freshwater tank). There is no way that my overflow can go faster than my pump, maybe the other way around, pump faster than the overflow. But I by having 3/4" PVC on the pump feeding my tank, and 1.25" PVC as the overflow I don't think I will have a problem with that.

Cwag001, is your overflow\siphon tube going to the bottom of the tank and picking up water from there? Or does it have a U and come back to the top of the tank to pick up water there. If your siphon is picking up water from a low point in the tank then you need to put in a U and move the pick up to the top of the tank at the level that you want the water. Otherwise if you have a power outage then the overflow\siphon will drain your tank into your sump and probably flood your home.

With my overflow if I lose power the water in the display tank stays at just about the same level. When the pump comes back on and the water goes over the top of the overflow it starts to drain once again.

I would post some pictures of what I have but I am at work and don't have the photos with me. Does this make since to anyone else or am I totally out there in my thinking?

Tim

I suppose the big question is what type of overflow are we talking about? Mine is commercially built and is rated at 600 gph my return is rated at 712 gph with the headloss from the return line going 3 1/2 feet or so it is matched pretty much perfect.

when you say the water level is dropping you're talking about the level in your tank right? I saw the title sump problem and then you talk about how the level keeps dropping. If the level in the sump keeps dropping your pump isn't too small. If the level in the tank keeps dropping and the sump starts overfilling then I agree.

BTW....
if this is a slow water level in the sump problem... evaporation drops the level of water in a sump... which gives you the chance to keep the tank level constant. If you have it nice and warm in your home as dry as it has been here it TX (I'm in Keller north of FW) you are losing plenty of water to evap.

Is why many reefers do a automatic water top off.. ATO.. to their sumps... also do a ATO to a small tank then let it do the ATO to your sump to reduce RODI short cycling.

Last edited:
I've use 3 commercial overflows in my time, all 3 could be adjusted to how deep they sit in the top tank. The deeper it sits the faster water flows into it. It really shouldn't overflow faster then the pump can push though.

Back