sump question

brian762

Reefing newb
Ok so i thought i was on the right track for my sump, then, i started second guessing myself and now i think i just confused myself more. Here is what i have. Its a 55 gal tank non-drilled but already filled with rock and water, i was going to use a 20L for my sump, maybe 30 if i can get it to fit under there. Now my cunfussion comes from all the GPH of all the equibment. Does the overflow, return pump, and skimmer have to all be equal? I know about the head loss factor for the return and that is where i get confused.from what i have read you want anywhere between 5-8x turnover rate. so i am looking at max 385 gph. I want 3 chambers. skimmer, refugium, and return. I will be doing a bubble trap, should it be between the skimmer and refugium? What kind of skimmer would u recomend? i hear everybody say reef octopus, but what would be a good one?

Thanks,

Brian

Reef octopus is the best you can buy for that price range. Skimmer are a you get what you pay for item, cheap skimmers are cheap crappy skimmers.

Go for the reef octopus, i have only heard good things about them.

You need to plan your return pump around your overflow. What ever the flow rate of your overflow is you want the pump to be about 200gph higher depending on your head loss. For the skimmer generally you'll want a skimmer rated for a tank larger then you have. And your bubble trap should be between the skimmer and refugium to stop any bubbles from making it back into your system.

Back