Sump question

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
I am going to use the 20 gallon tank I have as a sump for my 46 gallon DT. I plan on getting some acrylic to make the dividers and I am going to build an algae scrubber. The height of the tank is 12 inches so do I need to cut my dividers to be 8 or 9 inches high?

Also, should I add a refugium? The tank is 30 inches long so I have the room. And should the divider at the return pump be cut to maintain the water level a couple of inches above the pump? Thanks in advance for any input.

One thing, you may need to reduce the baffle heights from 8 or 9 to 6 or 7. When the power to your pump cuts out you will get an increase in water level and you wouldnt want it to overflow.

Next part is yes, i believe you should do a fug, they are very useful and provide a safe place for pods to grow. Algae scrubbers are great but make sure you keep it clean.

Make sure you have a good size for your return area so you dont have to top up too much.

I would make all the baffles the same height, but thats just me.

IMO you'll be ok with 9" baffles and still have room for overflow. I've got a 20L sump on my 75 with 8" baffles and I definitely would have been safe with 9" baffles in mine. And you'll also have the benefit of adding a couple extra gallons of water to your total water volume.

IMO you'll be ok with 9" baffles and still have room for overflow. I've got a 20L sump on my 75 with 8" baffles and I definitely would have been safe with 9" baffles in mine. And you'll also have the benefit of adding a couple extra gallons of water to your total water volume.
As the tank is only 12" tall would I be pushing it with a 9" baffle as Jmck suggested because of power outages? I dont know how much water would get dumped into the sump if the power did go out. I would like as much water volume as I can get but at the same time I dont want to have a flooded sump so I guess I need to know how much water I could expect to gain in the sump in the case of the power going out, which does happen here.

I'm using the same size sump for my 75 with 8" baffles. When the power goes out, I've got close to three inches of space between the water and the top of the tank.

Back