Sump questions

tubz

Reefing newb
On my 90 gallon tank I have a 20 gallon underneath for the will. However it is all open, no separate compartments, it baffled. I have the overflow from the dt going through a sock, my skimmer is in there, heater and return pump. Also a pump for an algae scrubber I recently built. My question is, Is that an adequate setup or should I look at trying to separate the dump into different areas in the future. Do many people use just an open tank like this for a sump? I can't take it out or get any other one in really without taking the dt off the stand.

The baffles serve as barriers. Some are bubble traps. and keep any chaeto in a certain chamber to keep your return pump just pumping clear water. I believe that is all the baffles are for if not others will let you know. i think you should be ok if your water stays clear to pump back inthe DT. Another thing might be a problem if you lose the inlet side the pump will pump your whole sump dry.

I have the same set up and my nitrates and phosphates have lowered significantly. I also added a majority of my Live rock in there for a minialistic aquascape. Do you have a picture of yours? The only thing more I have is a BRS dual reactor.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 452
I don't have a picture yet of it. Not sure I would have much room in there for any rock. The skimmer takes up alot of space. So if I was to add rock on there, does it help alot with the biological filtration being in the sump? And can base rock be used or would it need a piece of live rock with it?
I still have a little work to do on the algae scrubber, I have a little splashing from it so I need to make some kind of shield yet. I'm not sure how much water droplets the lights can handle getting on them.

All base rock will turn into LR eventually, but it wouldn't hurt to add one or two pieces in with the base rocks. My skimmer is a Coralife HOB so it gives me a bit more space to work with. I would say yes it does help with the biological filtration, but someone may have other opinions. I bought a sheet of non UV plexi-glass from Lowe's and cut it, and placed 3 zip ties on it so I can easily take it on and off when when cut the zip ties from the ATS.

Attachments

• ats cover.jpg
    ats cover.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 443
What do you have at the end of mesh, looks like some kind of plastic washer? That help with spray from going out the sides?

oh yes there a must. They are rubber washers found in the plumbing section by drains and such (quite common), can't recall there name. I slipped those on each side, plus the gaurd rests on them. Yes it helps with the spray. I have a 370 GPH pump pushing the water to the 9.5x11" screen. It took about 8 weeks for it to produce some nice red/light brown algae.

I will have to look for those. I have had it going for about a week, and have a very faint light green color on it. I thought it would work sooner but I don't really have any algae in my tank, just wanna try and keep it that way. I have a ball valve after the pump so I have the water flow turned down until I get the spray guards made. I'm not sure if more flow will help the algae grow sooner.

Yes more flow is better. But you don't want it spraying all over creation either. It will help with a good nutrient export. There are rating charts out there of how much flow to have with the size screen you have.

I think I read that 35 gph per inch wide of screen. I have 10 inch wide screen and the pump I used is rated at 500 something I believe, so once I can turn it up more it should be fine.

Back