Sump..refugium....or both?

hazelsdad

Reefing newb
Debating on what to do here. Would love some suggestions! Looking to spend around 200. Seen some Berlin sumps that can be either. Just not sure what the best route here is. Thx in advance all!

IMO, it would be cheaper to build your own out of an empty fish tank than to buy one pre built.

All you need is a tank that fits where you are planning on putting it, some silicone, sheets of acrylic cut to fit, and a light for over the fuge part.

Depending on the size of the tank and where you aquire it from, it can cost as little as 40-50 bucks.

Your best bed is to measure the area where you will be putting the sump. Then buy a used or new tank that fits into that space. Have the hardware store cut you some plexiglass baffles so you can separate the tank into sections. The easiest and most common way is to have three sections:

1) equipment (protein skimmer, heater, etc)
2) refugium
3) return pump

Then voila! You've got a sump/fuge for cheap. You will then of course need to buy a return pump and some PVC for plumbing.

Is your tank drilled, or will you need an overflow box too?

Will need overflow box also. I like the idea of the pump pushing the water back into the tank through the PVC. Almost like another powerhead.

Yeah, it does give more flow. Are you "crafty"? Do you plan on making your own overflow box? Or buying one? If you are confident in your abilities you can make your own, but if you are worried about a flood, you may be safer buying one. Eschopps, Lifereef and CPR all make good overflow boxes.

Prolly buy one. I am crafty but would feel slot safer on this buying one. Lol.
Does the Berlin type run as a sump and a refugim? I am a little unclear on that. Also running my hang on skimmer in the sump should be ok?

Back