Sump/Return Pump Design

bigploch

Fan of Water
Hello all...again. Thanks for all of your help with choosing the lights in my tank. The combination of actinics and metal halides look beautiful. I'll be posting pictures soon.

Now, regarding my sump, I have a 30 gal aquarium that I am using for my sump below my 110 gal display. I am installing baffles/bubble trap with a spot for a fuge in the future and a protein skimmer. I have a custom siphon style overflow that came with the tank. (I like the CPR design better and am eventually planning an upgrade.) The setup also came with a external pump rated for 820 gph. My questions are these:

1 - Can I run PVC from 1" above the bottom of the sump up over the top of the sump wall, over the wall using a 90 degree bend, down the outside of the tank using another 90, and into my external pump with another 90? Is that too many corners restricting flow?

2 - If I do this, what diameter pipe should I use?

3 - I have read a few horror stories about using a ball valve to restrict flow on the return to the display. Any experience with this? The alternative given was changing the diameter of the return pipe. Is there a formula to use in calculating this or is it trial and error. It all seems a little goofy to me.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again to all for previous and future ideas.

1- I don't undersatnd what you are asking. If you are using an external pump, why does the pvc come out and over the sump? You can use either pvc, spa-flex or clear vinyl tubing for your return line from the pump to the display.
Here's the head loss calculator from RC to hep figure out what the pump you use will actully do.

2- Match the pipe diameter with whatever size the output of the pump is. Just remember, you don't want your pump to be pushing more water into your tank than your overflow can drain.

3- You can use a ball valve or gate valve to slow down the return, but don't use a valve to slow down the drain line.

Attached is a sketch of what I am thinking. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• sump design.jpg
    sump design.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 32,868
If I'm not mistaken,your pump wont work that way.You'll need to either drill your sump and install a bulkhead,or swap your external pump for a submergable.External pumps arent designed to draw water up like your drawing shows.

Not sure. I used it to pump water out of my tank. It was above my tank and pumped 30+ inches up and then down to my drain. As long as it was primed it worked fine. Again, my concern is flow. I know it will work, (at least for a while before my pump burns up if, yote, you are correct) but I am not sure how much flow I will have. Still thinking it out.

Don't run the pump like that. Drill your sump or get an internal pump. Pumps are make to push water, not pull it. What happens if your power goes out for a few mins and your not home? The pump will restart, but it won't be able to pull water up and over the sump. It will burn up.

Any thoughts on drilling? How can I tell if it is not tempered glass. Or possibly not worry with it and go with a submersible. I am thinking that is the way to go...

If you know the brand name,you can check their website.One of the reps should know if its tempered or not.
But its going to be about the same either way,so it all boils down to how you want to do it.

polorized glasses you can see the difference in the glass with them. just take the tank to a glass shop and they can drill the whole for you just get a 1 inch bulk head and have them drill it for that the hole will have to be bigger but that depends on the bulk head.

Back