sump return pump

Not a Mag that I got, its a good pump and all, but with no vibration dampering it can be loud at times. I wish it had some sort of rubber suction cups or something.

How much water are you plan on pumping. Submersibles are genrerally quietest as their sound is muffled by the water . However, they supply heat to the water above what a noisier external pump would supply. They in genearl are also less efficient than external pumps and have shorter life spans. External pumps are generally larger capacity pumps though and come in high volumes pumps or high head pumps. The high volume pumps out pump the general submersible pumps on a per watt basis. My Dart, Iwaki and Pan World Pumps (external pumps) are about the same noise output as the power pack fan in my computer, which means I only hear the pumps when nothing else is making noise. Like the computer, TV, radio, microwave etc. which are all heard over the circulation pumps which are in a standard aquarium type backless cabinet.

I just switched to a quiet one, very quiet and it can be used either way internal or external. I'm running mine internal I have a quiet one 3000, which at head pumps 780 gph and four ft up where my return enters, pumps @600 gph which is more than enought for a 70 rr i have.

That is a very believeable overflow flow rate for a reef ready supplied sump, I do not have a pump curve chart on file for that pump but 600 gph sound like a reasonable return expectation. Is there other circulation for your tank as 300 gph each through two returns is sure not much capable of providing a lot of water movement in a 70 gallon tank. I guess the question is only about a sump return pump not overall circulation. Either way I think the externals increased noise is not as bad as an internal pumps heat output into my tank water.

I guess my mag isnt really all that loud, but it is all that I hear from the sump. I could try using some sort of rubber vibration damper I'm sure, but its not that bad that it keeps me up or anything. I'll ask my friend what return he uses, because his sump is silent.

Back