sump return pump

Damnselpa

Just Fish
I have recently revamped my system by adding a sump with a refugium. i built my own sump out of a 10gal tank with three chambers. Along with; a DIY overflow system made out of 3/4 pvc. I used flex tubing to move the water from place to place along with a ball valve after my return pump so i can control the flow. My issue is that i believe that the pump that i bought might be too big for the amount of water coming in. The pump is a Rio+1100 (382GPH) but with my vertical pipe it ends up being around 180GPH. Even with the ball valve to control the flow the pump sucks the sump dry. Could anyone recommend what i could do. whether it be go to 1" pvc overflow system or down size my pump.

I would think you should move up to 1inch pipe on the pvc overflow. I have never had a pvc one but from what I have read they dont have a great deal of flow

Three chambers in a ten gallon might be causing too little water for the return chamber. If you force too much flow over the baffle it might be too turbulent and cause micro bubbles.

I guess see how the increase in pipe size goes as others has suggested, otherwise you might have to decrease the number of chambers to two.

Good Luck

( BTW, what do you have in your three chambers ? )

Also, make sure you test for a power fail situation so you dont end up with a wet floor.

The first chamber has my heater, the second one has live rock and live sand (bout 3 in.) When I get my first fish I will get my micro algae. And the third chamber has my return pump. My protein skimmed is in the back of my main tank.

As far as a power outage I have tested it and when my pump shuts off, my overflow will no longer take on water. However water does flow back down the return line, I will have to see what happens when the pump stops working and let it go.

When your return chamber gets dry, how is the water in the display tank? is it overwhelming the overflow kit? or is the current overflow kit able to keep up with the return feed?

If the overflow kit is keeping up with the return feed then the issue might be lack of water volume in the return chamber in the sump.
But like Old_Moe said, you do not want too much water in the sump or it could overflow when the power goes off.

Drill a hole in the return line just below the water level in the tank. This will break siphon faster in a power outage.

It becomes overwhelmed. So it sounds like I need to go to the next size up.

Yeah if the main tank is spilling over then you will need to up-size the overflow.
Either switch that over to a bigger diameter pipe, or get a second overflow kit.

For a 3/4" overflow line, I would be concerned at how easily that could get clogged if that is the only overflow.

I have nerite snails in my 100 gallon tank that can easily plug up a 3/4" pipe. :)

So the idea for that is that the hole is below the water level but in the chance of a power outage the hole will be visible. That will put air in the line and break the siphon. thanks for the info.

I am not to worried about animals getting into my overflow because my tank has three back chambers that were a wet/dry system until i mod it.

I did some more research and found that the size pipe i have (3/4") will only do about 220gph and my pump is running 381gph. So its clear that either i need to down size my pump or up size my pvc plumbing. My GPH should be right at about the same.

yeah. and u can put a cap on the overflow with holes drilled to create a screen so fish and snails wont get sucked in.

Back