sump to refug build advice

dapple

Salty Dog
Like it says above I am planning a 10 gal refuge tank to sit close to my sump. My sump is a custom unit and is chamber in a way that I won't be able to set a refuge up in it. I don't want my algae sucked into my return pump. What I need to know is how can I get my water to go tank to tank . Do I use a powerhead. I've never done any of this before. :bowdown:

You can either get another pump and some tubing to pump the water from one to the other, or else, you can set the refugium up higher than the sump and do a gravity feed.

You can either get another pump and some tubing to pump the water from one to the other, or else, you can set the refugium up higher than the sump and do a gravity feed.

smitty hit it dead on, with pumps and plumping is more work and thinking involved but with the gravity fed option is your best bet but you will need a good amount of space to do it, i have my sump set up this way ill post a pic. also will be making a 30 gal build thread in detail of how set this system up.

2011-12-18_10-36-10_906.jpg
[/IMG]

the tan bin is for the skimmer and the tank is the fuge with return pump.

I am going to put my fuge under the tank and my behind the stand because its a real tight fit . I am a real good wood worker so I may take the stand apart and add some height to it . It's getting painted black anyways(tank has black trim) . How high is a decent tank height. I'm getting a new MRC-1 skimmer. How much higher would you put the fuge than the sump. I'm using a plastic 10 gal with a bulkhead in the side.

you would want to fuge to be the last place the water is filtered and the skimmer the first to take solids out of the water, sooo i would put it directly above or the bottom trim of the fuge tank is equal level to the top of the sump. like shown in the pic

Back