sump

akfirefighter

FrozenReefer
I built my own sump a while back, but I am unhappy with how my hose goes into the sump. It is just sitting in there. I am scared that it might come out one day. What is a better way to connect the hose to the sump. It is a 20g tank. Thanks

Use PVC and have it attached inside the sump somehow.Have the bottom curved and at the top put a female threading and male barb fitting that will fit your hose.I would suggest using PVC glue or silicone to hold it in the corner but your sump is already up and running.Just a disclaimer,never use glue/silicone in water.It needs 48 hrs before adding water.

If you don't understand,maybe I can get a pic of mine to illustrate.

Use PVC and have it attached inside the sump somehow.Have the bottom curved and at the top put a female threading and male barb fitting that will fit your hose.I would suggest using PVC glue or silicone to hold it in the corner but your sump is already up and running.Just a disclaimer,never use glue/silicone in water.It needs 48 hrs before adding water.

If you don't understand,maybe I can get a pic of mine to illustrate.

Could I see a pic of yours. How is it attatched to the inside of the sump?

Its held in the corner with clear PVC cement but I don't how else you can hold it in place without removing/draining the sump.

BRB,let me see if a pic will show up.

Here you go.
I have PVC cement and primer to hold the pvc pieces together and teflon tape for the thread fittings.

2108155.jpg

I just thought of something.You can use super glue gel to hold the pvc to the corner of your sump which is safe to use in saltwater.

Yeah it will dry under water.I'm not 100% how well super glue will hold though.Make sure you get the gel kind.I do think its best to do this with PVC cements with the sump drained and allowed to dry first.

Is there anyway you can run your system without the sump?I suppose not if it there's a fuge built in.

What size hose do you have coming off your overflow? I have 1" vinyl tubing and its long enough so it goes down in the first section of the sump quite a ways, the guy at the LFS was confused when I said I just had the tubing stuck in there and not attached at all.. but there is NO WAY this stiff 1" tubing is going to pull up 9" and move over outside the sump. I have it attached to the overflow, so when I want to clean my overflow (like tonight) I have to just let it drain and pull the 3' of tubing out with it to clean. I cant ever seen it possibly dislodging its self from the sump in any way... Just make it long enough, and if its bigger than airline tubing with tons of curls and kinks in it I think you'd be safe...

I have 1" also. It is stuck in the sump about 8 inches too, just wanted a more secure way of attatching it. I think i am going to use some super glue and if that dont work I will drain it and use silicone.

Is it permanentely attached to your overflow box? Because a few days ago I realized how bad the overflow needs to be cleaned and had to take it off with the 3 foot of tubing, it was a pain to get it out, thats how stiff this stuff is. If its attached permanentely to your overflow like mine is, because I had to custom make a bracket then i wouldnt glue it in your sump!

Back