Sump?

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
I am wanting to build a sump, but dont really know how to go about it.
Can anyone help?
Also what is a relatively good, somewhat non pocket hurting, return pump?

Here are some pics of my fuge. Built it myself very easily and cheap. It's a 10g tank, but the same concept on any size fuge. I too did not want to spend a lot on a return pump. I'm using a Rio 1700 pump and paid $39 for it. It pumps in the range of 400gph at 4' head.

Picture087-1.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Picture097.jpg

So how do you make sure there isnt more water overflowing into the sump then what is being pumped back up?

That will all have to do with how many GPH your overflow or bulkhead can handle as well as how many GPH your return pump is rated for at a specific head footage. If the DT is filling up faster than it's overflowing then you'll need to reduce the flow from the return pump to the DT with a ball valve or similar flow restrictor. If the fuge/sump is filling up faster than what can be pumped into the DT then you'll have to get a pump that can handle more GPH. Just make sure to get a pump that is rated for more GPH then the overflow or bulkhead and you'll never have to worry about it filling up too fast. You'll only have to worry about reducing the flow to the DT, which is a normal occurance. It's not a good idea to restrict flow to the return pump or choke it out. Remember to make sure to not install the baffels too large or you'll have too much water volume in the fuge/sump tank. If that happens then it will flood during a power outage or if the pump dies out. If you see the water level in my fuge pics it's about 3" or so below the top of the tank. When I kill the power it fills up to about 1" away from the top and will never overflow and cause a flood as long as I don't overfill the fuge with water to start.

+1 meshman My skimmer overflowed on me once and I vowed to never have it happen again. So I use the gallon jug as a collection container and empty it every 3 days.

Oh ok thanks for the help guys, I am currently looking up some DIY articles, most are saying to put the skimmer right into the sump? yay or nay?

BTW, i was born on 4:20, :D

I built one almost exaclty like Hiker's two night ago in my garage. I only took a couple hours and a small amount og blood loss on my part.

Home Depot has started carrying lexan and the tools to cut it. The 10 gallon tank and generic lexan cost under $25.00

I like the Skimmer drain idea.

Oh ok thanks for the help guys, I am currently looking up some DIY articles, most are saying to put the skimmer right into the sump? yay or nay?

BTW, i was born on 4:20, :D

Putting the skimmer in the sump is a good idea in the event of an overflow. I measured wrong when I installed the baffels and my skimmer section is 1/4" too small:frustrat: so that's why I have it as a hang on. On the plus side, not having it in the fuge will add a little more water volume, which never hurts. If I were to do one thing different it would be to use the next size thicker plexiglass. I used the thin stuff and it bends when the water level gets too low and there isn't enough pressure to hold it steady. Good luck with the build....nothing to worry about. Measure several times before you cut. If you can, wait until you have the skimmer and return pump so you can measure exactly right to fit them in the fuge. :twocents:

Back