sumps what to do

kjm

Reefing newb
Ok I have been thinking of adding a sump system to my setup. I have a 150 gallon tank, and have been looking on the net and at local store. My problem is the more I look the more designs I find and it has confused me a bit. Is the a difference in the type of sump I shuold get. Does anyone recommend or like one kind over another. I just am not sure where to go now. HELP please.

Are you looking for a sump for just a skimmer or a sump that accommodates a refuge AND a skimmer? Your best bet is doing a DIY (Do It Yourself) sump. It'll save you oodles of money if you can do it yourself. There a MULTIPLE threads in the "equipment" section of the forum that have people showing their process' of making their own sumps. You should check them out.

I have been thinking about which to do. Tring to find a design and really understanding what each part does, what i need in a sump, and how to design one of my own is what has been holding me back on building one.

Basically, you can use an empty tank as your sump. You put a return pump in it to return water back to the main tank, and you have either an overflow box or your main tank drilled to bring water down to the sump. That's as simple as you can get. You can also put in plexiglass dividers to section off the sump for different purposes. Most people's sumps have 3 sections. One to hold the equipment (heater, skimmer), one to hold some macroalgae and live rock rubble (refugium) and the last one to hold the return pump.

Back