Sun Coral Eating

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys I just got my sun coral last week and it is beautiful! I re-arranged the rock work so it has a nice shadded area that it can hang out in and yet still has 3-4" around it so I can get a turkey baster in there.

Today is the first time it came out during the day! :bounce: It has had the overhang for about 3 days now. I just got done feeding it and it is coming back out for more. I know I can overfeed the tank...but I am wondering how much I should feed it? The smaller polyps can just get about 1 brine in their mouth but the larger ones can get about 2-3...then 30 seconds later its digested and the tenticals are out looking for more! Here are a few pics from my cell phone:

0816000844.jpg

0816000849.jpg

It looks very healthy!

To get it on a schedule, feed it at the same time every day. It will "learn" when it's going to get food and will be ready for you. Sometimes mine open during the day, sometimes they don't. It's a nice surprise when they do!

I just stick the top part of a soda bottle over my colony and squirt some food in there. Whatever they can catch, they eat. Whatever they don't, the other animals get.

i dont put mine on a schedule so whenever i feed the tank, the sun coral opens, so i dont need to be specific about feeding times

Just an update...my sun coral is an absolute pig! I was feeding my anemone and it lost some of the shrimp which drifted into the sun coral. I was amused and watched it swell to 3 times it's normal size to consume this huge chunk of squid.

So I have a bunch more squid left over from my poor sting ray and decided to try it again. It is so happy eating that stuff! The polyps grab on and they don't let go! I have about 10 of the larger polyps eating large chunks of squid! It's amazing! The smaller ones can share a large chunk between 2-3 of them (bottom of picture...that chunk was 2x larger until the polyps on the end at the ends off)

My question is...is this normal behavior for this coral? Should I not feed it like this? I am in the process of getting more frozen mysis or something (PetsMart doesnt carry it).

0819001030.jpg

Back