Super Glu Gel?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I just bought this today so I can glue some of my frags in a more permanent spot and to keep my urchin from wearing them as a hat. Will this be ok to use?

090923_0043.jpg

I love the "NEW ULTIMATE POWER" in the corner. I'm too afraid that I'd want to move corals around after gluing them. Then being.... stuck.... with having to take the chance of damaging the coral or rearranging the rock work just for 1 coral.

Good luck

I have had no luck using any of the gel superglues underwater. Everytime I do, within a day the entire bottle is solid. Not sure what happens there, but it's like the whole container reacts and dries up. I've probably tossed out 5 little do-dads of the stuff after only using them once.

I love the "NEW ULTIMATE POWER" in the corner. I'm too afraid that I'd want to move corals around after gluing them. Then being.... stuck.... with having to take the chance of damaging the coral or rearranging the rock work just for 1 coral.

Good luck

I was actually a bit worried about that myself becasue I'm saving :twocents: for a larger tank as we speak. I'm only going to use enough glue to hold it on there where it wont fall or get ripped off by the urchin or hermits. I should easily be able to release the glued frag at a later time. The key word is "should"...haha:bounce:

I heard that you should store the gel in the fridge when not in use to keep it from getting hard. Has anyone else heard that?

Super Glue is cyanoacrylate or CA

You can purchase it at most hobby stores in thin, medium, thick or gel. The thin is like water - not good for gluing corals down - but EXCELLENT at gluing your fingers to rocks, the bottle, the coral etc...
I prefer the thick glue. You can put a glob of it on a coral and then put the coral in the water. The outer surface of the glue will skin over immediately but the inside is still gooey. Put it in the tank and stick it down. Hold it for a minute or two so the glue can cure. That should set it in place.

I have had no luck using any of the gel superglues underwater. Everytime I do, within a day the entire bottle is solid. Not sure what happens there, but it's like the whole container reacts and dries up. I've probably tossed out 5 little do-dads of the stuff after only using them once.
Salt water makes it set up almost instantly. If you're using the tube under water - and you happen to suck a drop of water back into the tube - instantly hard as a rock. Been there - done that - got the T-shirt :grumble:

I used the gel for the first time tonight. I had previously only had the putty crap which is good for rocks. I glued just straight coral to rock with the gel. It worked really well.

Well, I finally got around to using the gel last night. It seems to work pretty good. I did find out that you need to use more glue than you think. Put a lot on there and it will be stuck good. I made sure not to get adapter tip wet at all and it stayed flowing great.

I'm sure almost everyone has a version of a "dollar store" somewhere in the area. I stumbled upon a three pack of the original superglue gel in a pack for a buck. I got 6 packs. Same thing is $3-$4 elsewhere. Check those dollar stores out!

Back