Super skimmer questions

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
In the last few days my super skimmer has been producing less and less bubbles... so it hasnt been gathering anything really. I took it apart and cleaned the cup so I could see exactly where the micro bubbles were getting to, and its just not making enough bubbles. I checked the air line to see if its blocked or anything, when I blow into the air inlet it makes TONS of bubbles in the cylinder, but then they go away right away... Do you need to replace the airline tubing ever? even though no water goes through it? I want to try to clean my pump, but I remember it took me like half hour to get the hose on between the pump and the skimmer even after heating it up and having it out in the open... I cant imagine doing it while still in my sump.

I just pulled it apart and cleaned the head of the pump, where the airline tubing goes into it, and after putting it back together its working now, must have been plugged up a bit, but its making a really loud sucking noise now with out the silencer on it and it wasnt before... So it had to be something in there, cause it wasnt making any air noises at all before i took it apart. Problem solved, ill hav to find some of that tubing at the LFS so I have a back up, its bigger in diameter than the normal stuff my aqua lifter uses.

I was going to suggest running a toothpick into the hole where the air line hooks up. mine done the same thing. it was clogged with salt creep. you could blow threw it with you're mouth, but it was too restricted to suck air on it's own.

Was it clogged on the end that lets the air in the pump section or the top of that silencer thing? It didnt seem like it was plugged really, If i blew hard through it it went nuts with the bubbles, but then after a bit wouldnt do anything again. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and remmeber to clean that thing out every month or something.

it was this piece. try this with a toothpick. i'll bet you knock out a big clump of salt creep.

005_456909.JPG

Exactly, thats the part I took off and there was a little chunk of salt in there. Thanks again. about how often do you guys clean that piece out?

Alexander, that is why I love my Excaliber, there is nothing to clean as all the working parts are under water

-Doc

I'm still confused on the part that is in discussion. oh well. it still works. kinda.... its definitely a skimmer ill never own again. way too sensitive.

Its in the part in the pump, its got a small airline tube going down to it, if that it gets plugged it wont inject enough air. Just follow the tubing underwater and fish it out.

Back