Swimmy Nano Fish?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Well, I have an extra 10 gallon tank that I'm going to be making into a mini reef in my kitchen (thanks for the idea Brittany; I totally needed something to stare at while eating and cooking, cuz those activities are BORING!). I have all the equipment for it anyway, except a powerhead, proper lights, and about 10 lbs of dry rock. I am hoping to add a Tail Spot Blenny, and perhaps one other swimmy fish to provide movement and animation throughout the rest of the tank. The only one I've seen on LA is the Swissguard Basslet, which is rather on the pricey side. I do want reef-safe, as this will be a coral-heavy tank. Inverts will include snails, porcelain crabs, fan worms, and maybe a clam. So, any ideas? And I know that two fish is pushing it in a 10 gallon, but I'm going for little nano/pico fish, and water maintenance will probably be done 2-3 times weekly since I'm in the kitchen a lot, and in a 10 the change volume is relatively small (as compared to my 90 gallon......)

There really arent any because they either have to be TINY to be able to have enough swimming room in a 10 gal, or they can be larger but not spend much time swimming.

The only thing I can think of is find someone who breed clowns and get a really tiny baby and then find him a new home when he gets larger.

Nah. Not going to do that to a clown. I may just sink the money into a swissguard after the tank matures a bit. I want to stick with fish that can be in a 10 when they are mature. No tearing apart a tank to catch a fish after it's uncomfortably cramped!

On the other hand, I could just get that FPG if one ever becomes available...........They really are soooooo stinkin' cool!

Maybe not what you wanted to do but you could try a planted freshwater and do tetras. I know it's not saltwater but planted freshwater can be just as cool and just as challenging!

Nah. I've done planted freshwater in the past, and it just wasn't the same as reefing. I keep looking at the freshwater fish in PetSmart and thinking, gee, I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore!

This is awesome! I'm glad I inspired you to set yours up! I going to have a red banded goby and hopefully he will have a shrimp to pair up with. I also want to get one other fish that swims around but am having a hard time finding one that is fit for a 10 gallon. I was thinking a royal gramma but people think its not good for a ten gallon so idk! I do like the tailspot blenny. I wonder if those are okay with the red banded goby? I saw this fish called a geometric hawkfish (i think that's what it was) at my lfs. It was pretty cool looking. From what I remember I think it stays small but not very swimmy.

What about a purple firefish? According to LA firefish can go in a 10g. You could also do a yellow-striped cardinal fish, although I don't know how swimmy they are. Out of curiosity, what is an FPG?

Flaming Prawn Goby FTW!

FlamingPrawnGoby.jpg

I like inspiring people lol it really is nice to see so many other small setups. I can't wait to see how everyone's turns out.

Nah. I've done planted freshwater in the past, and it just wasn't the same as reefing. I keep looking at the freshwater fish in PetSmart and thinking, gee, I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore!

I have both, my kitchen tank is planted freshwater. I know its not the same as a reef tank but I really love my glofish they are really active and with the black light bulb they actually do glow.

I cant think of any SW fish that would be happy swimming in a 10g. Maybe pigmy seahorses but they have to have live foods not sure what your experience is with that.

Back