T12 Lighting (Anemones & Clams)

robeterl

Reefing newb
I have been looking into lighting for my tank because I would like to put an anemone and some clams in my tank. First question is putting will there be a problem with haveing anemones and clams?

Also I have found some T-12 lights will give me 95W. Has anyone found drawbacks to using these bulbs?

Last edited:
t12 VHO lighting is an antiquated technology. It has been replaced with the much better t5HO lighting. This is more energy efficient and puts out more light per watt used.

You can also look into MH lighting which is still a high quality source to go with.

If you want to venture into the new, look into LED. These have many benefits over standard forms of lighting. They run cooler, use less energy and last a long time. Because they are still reletively new, they tend to be more expensive than the other two and there is a lot more confusion about what constitutes adequate spectrum from these.

Those VHO's are very outdated - and I dont think they would be sufficient for clams or anemone's - which are some of the most light demanding creatures in the hobby

What king of light fixture do you have? That will determine what kind of bulbs you need. Fluorescent is different than regular incandescent lamps. The ballast inside determines the wattage of the bulb you need to get. You cant just throw in a larger wattage bulb and expect it to work.

My light fixture holds only two bulbs. I may have to eat the cost of the light fixture I have to get one that holds 4 bulbs. And yes it is a 40g tank.

You have to replace the bulbs with the same size and wattage as the other bulbs that are already in there. That is how fluorescent lighting works.

Back