T12 VHO question

Max125g

Reefing newb
New to lights and think i found a nice deal i want to jump on. Person is selling a 72" hood with the ballasts, lights, and fixtures for 2 72" T12 VHO bulbs.

Said bulbs are 6 months old. He is asking 150 for everything. Is that a good deal?

I am not that familiar with t12VHOs, and not sure what you would be able to keep with just 2 bulbs, but do know that they are older technology. I would look into either a MH or t5HO fixture. I believe you would be happier with one of those options. Even though they would probably cost a bit more, you wont be wanting to upgrade it to a high output light in the near future.

I would pass on it. Since I started corals about 9 months ago I have not heard one person recomend VHO. Its all MH, T5, or Power Compacts. The Power compacts are at the bottom. I think the VHO is probably antiquated.

I second Chris' opinion. Also, the hood will just make your tank overheat in the summer. That light choice limits you as to what corals you can get. Also, fluorescent bulbs need replacing every 6-9 months, so those bulbs aren't "new" fyi

You would not be able to keep very many corals at all with two VHO bulbs... As others have said, they are old technology and are not efficient, and their light output is very low.

man, right when i think i find a good deal.

Oh well. :)

and these were going to be used in conjunction with my coralife lunar 72" setup 4x96w CFL

Back