t5 lighting/Canopy

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Im looking to purchase t5 lighting for a 75 gallon mixed reef setup (which i have not started in yet). What im looking to do is to build the lights as part of the canopy. So think lights and canopy but without the fixture that comes with it. Could anyone give me some good sites and threads to turn to?

So in order to connect it to the top of the wood canopy, i have to use retrofits?? Do i just nail them into the wood?? The wiring diagrams look simple enough, so no problem there. they look like exactly what i need. Does IceCap make the only retrofits that will work will t5?? If i wanted a total of 8 lamps would i be better off getting two 4ft kits with 4 bulbs each? or 2 2ft kits with 4 bulbs each?? i think i worded it right.

Also for a mixed reef setup how high from the top of the aquarium should i build my canopy and mount the lights?
Thanks in Advance

T5 ho and vho can be relatively close to the water say 3-4 inches from water surface. I would go with the four foot kits. You could buy a fixture instead of retros but if you have a canopy whats the point, retros are just the important guts of the fixture, if you dont have a canopy and dont want one get a fixture. Aquatincs, Tek and Nova Extremes or Extreme Pros are all great fixtures. You want something with individual reflectors. TEK also makes retros if you go to www.marinedepot.com and go to lighting section there are a decent selection of retro kits

Google DIY aquarium canopy for as many ideas as you care to read about!

Last edited:
To be unlimited six banks of T5-HO with individual reflectors is fine.

I recommend the Icecap over all other retrofit kits.Quality and having the best reflectors the main reasons.I find these guys the best place on the webs for lighting especially T5's and the many different bulb choices.

http://www.reefgeek.com/

so 6 t5 HO bulbs would be good for a 75gallon mixed reef system(LPS,SPS, Softies, Clams, Inverts, etc.)? For some reason i thought i needed VHO's.

Sure,six is enough even for SPS and clams.Of course,more is better for SPS if you want to do 7-8 banks or go with T5-VHO instead.

Am I mistaken in thinking that Icecap 660s with HO bulbs=VHO due to the overdrive?

That's right,it will overdrive 54w bulbs to about 80-85w....also cutting the lifespan of the bulb 1/3.

or

you can use the T5-VHO bulbs with an overdriven ballast and not lose any lifespan.

Back