T5 lighting

ponydesigns

Reefing newb
I still have an algae problem, my pet store guy told me I could change the bulbs out.
He said I need more blue on my actinics and change the spectrum of my whites.
Could someone please help on this?
I currently have
Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO - 10K / 460nm Actinics: : 36" - 6 x 39 Watts (3 - 10K / 3 - 460nm Actinics)

Well,if your bulbs are in need of replacing then by all means do so.New bulbs alone may help with your algae problems but changing spectrum isn't going to help much.How can you having more blue than the 460nm?I would look for a nutrient problem from overfeeding,overstocking,filter media etc. in addition to the lighting.

May I suggest 3 ATI blue plus and UV super actinic for the actinics.A UV Aquasun(10k),two ATI aquablue special(12k) and either a GE6500k or a Fiji Purple for the last bulbs.The two last bulbs can fuel algae growth more so than the 10k,12k,so you could use something in the 14k instead.I like the added color the GE and Fiji gives to reds,oranges and yellows in corals and fish.Give Reefgeek.com an email or call for other suggestions.

Good luck.

T5 bulbs should be replaced every 10-12 months and buying quality bulbs like ATI, Geisemann or even UVL do make a difference.

This is my current config starting at the front

ATI Actinic
Geisemann AquaBlue+
Geisemann Actinic+ (pretty close to the ATI Blue+)
[space for moonlight led's]
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

The ATI Blue+ and Geisemann Actinic+ are very similar and are both VERY blue bulbs with very high par. The ATI actinic is actually kinda dim and almost gray/blue/purple with half the par of the other blues but should help certain coral colors pop more. The Aquasun adds some red to the spectrum and the AquaBlue+ is more of a white light.

This is the cool thing about T5's. You can keep messing with bulbs until you get the color you like.

Pony, I took an updated pic for you with the bulbs listed above...

458692183_mpBjD-O.jpg

What kind of algae problem is it?
How long has your tank been set up?
What equipment are you running for filtration?
What kind of water are you using for water changes? RO? Tap?
How are your parameters testing?
How's your water temp?
How many fish?
How much/often/what do you feed?

Back