T5's/Reflectors

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I did some reading over on Reef Central about T5's. Some claim that without the individual reflectors, the T5's are basically worthless. The thing is, I have a 55 gallon and I am very limited to which fixture fits over the tank. I really want to get the Nova 8 Bulb (432 watts), but it does not have the individual reflectors. My other option is the Tek 4 bulb (220 watts) with ind. refl. but does not include bulbs or lunar lights.

I am really torn on what to get:frustrat:I don't want to spend a good amount of money and be upset.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks.

I run the 4 bulb Nova fixture over my 55, and have had great results, especially with SPS. And mine does not have individual reflectors. Yote has the 8 bulb and also loves them. I would go for the 8 bulb without reflectors over the 4 bulb with reflectors.

I've had them for about 14 months now. And I've not replaced the bulbs yet. My LFS said to replace the bulbs every 12 to 18 months. I only started adding SPS in the last 4 months or so, and they are growing faster than anything in my tank ever has (it's INCREDIBLE), so I think the bulbs are still fine.

Well guys, it sounds like I will be getting a fixture with individual reflectors. After doing some reading it just makes more sense. T5's with the ind. refl. run a lot more effeciently, therefore you can use less bulbs cutting down on cost for replacements and at the same time getting great light out of the fixture.

Yote, Biff, I wasn't doubting your recomendations on the Nova, but I figured I would see what the people on Reefcentral had to say about the T5's.

Here is the thread: Anyone who is concidering running the T5's, read the whole thread.
Reef Central Online Community - Individual Reflectors/T5

Salty,
You'll love having T5s.Just what ever you do,acclimate your corals to it,or you'll bleach em quick.

Plus you need to post some pics of the before and after with your new lights.

Honestly Salty,I have the 8 bulb Nova's.I like them but don't love them.If I could do my 75g all over again,I would of gone with the Aquactinic TX5.Its 5x54w with individual Icecap reflectors(supposingly the best IR on the market).It does come with lunar lights but not the bulbs.Trust me on this,you will want your own choice of bulbs so you can get the look you want and what is best for the corals.I prefer the Auactinics over the Tek because it has cooling fans and better IR reflectors.

Last edited:
Reaffreak, that is great news. I am sold on the Aquactinics, now I need to decide which bulbs to get. Would you happen to be familiar with this department?

Oh Salty,I hate recommending bulbs.This is what i would do because I like the bluish/purplish color and I seen Grim(T5 guru on RC) recommend this.BTW,the ATI and UV bulbs have the best PAR.

ATI Blue Plus
UV Aquasun 10k(pinkish daylight instead of the white of most bulbs)
UV or Sfiligoi Super Actinic
GE 6500k
ATI Aquablue Special 12k(slightly blue but more white) or more blue ATI Blue Plus.

I have all the above bulbs and got them from reefgeek.com.That are very knowledgeable on best choices for bulbs.Premium Aquatics has that fixture and bulbs if you want to get all from the same place.

Back