Taking Nice Tank Shots

bjohanson1234

OK so I notice a lot of nice pictures on here but whenever I try to take a picture, it is always focused on something else or not as detailed as I would like it. So what is the secret?

Are there special settings for use up close like that?

It might be my camera it is a Sony Cybershot from maybe 6 years ago. But my wifes camera is newer not sure what it is though.

Thanks in advance
Brian

For the older cameras, they use the center for auto-focus. You have to point the center to where you want to be sharp and press the shutter button halfway. Keep holding the shutter halfway and then pan the camera to frame your shot, then press the shutter all the way to take the picture.

For the newer and "smarter" camera, the fully automatic mode try to guess where the focus should be. So it's gonna be even harder to get what you want to be focused on. You have to switch your camera setting away from the fully automatic and pick where you want the focus to be at.

For close up shots, most people use SLR camera with tele-zoom and/or macro lens.

FeatherDuster.jpg

Last edited:
dang thats a nice picture. I know im a newbie to corals, never had any, but what is that? I am planning on taking the reef plunge soon,

a type of feather duster huh i have to get one of those. Its funny I was always just interested in fish until I joined here guess im getting infected :bounce:

bj- since this is your thread, just a quick question? What's with that People Eating Tasty Crabs signature you've got there?

Sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread I would give picture advice but but im a real ape with camera equipment. wes you should put that shot in for the pic of the month it would get my vote.

bj- since this is your thread, just a quick question? What's with that People Eating Tasty Crabs signature you've got there?

Well, have you guys every had some good crab legs??? It is a play on PETA Peaple Eating Tastey Animals

Plus I had hermits and they ate all my snails. They would actually wait till feeding time when my snails came out and attack the snails that we feeding. So I hate them:mrgreen:

But thanks everyone Im gonna have to mess around with it. I think my camera has a Macro function.

Brian

Last edited:
Well, have you guys every had some good crab legs??? It is a play on PETA Peaple Eating Tastey Animals

Plus I had hermits and they ate all my snails. They would actually wait till feeding time when my snails came out and attack the snails that we feeding. So I hate them:mrgreen:

But thanks everyone Im gonna have to mess around with it. I think my camera has a Macro function.

Brian

Got that same thing going on now... I noticed a Gang of Hermits that had apparently "Shell-Jacked" my snails and are all roaming around sporting new shiney Margarita Shells.....

Back