Tang Compatability

chances are pretty good since the powder brown is acanthurus. they will be different body types, however they will be similar in color so that may make it be a little more tough. what size of tank are we talkin about here?

It's a 75g tank. I was just thinking about how they wouldl get along. I was looking at Sarahs tank thread and saw 2 tangs in there. I know she has a 90g so its a little larger than the 75g I'm getting this weekend.

I've got the orange shoulder, yellow, and sailfin all in my tank. My tank is larger, but they're always within 6 inches of each other. they bicker a little bit but nothing to worry about. Nice thing about it (with my species anyway), when they do argue, they argue with their tails...so it's not like someboy's getting hurt.

while researching I have read that they get more aggressive toward their own species with age(like an older dog perhaps?), but do ok in larger tanks... Since your tank is the min size I wouldn't suggest more than one :/

This is the conclusion that I have drawn from the bit of research I did on the subject matter. Perhaps you might find out something similar.

What kind do you have that I didn't see in your recent pictures? I saw the yellow tank and powder brown tang? Do you think I can have 2 in a 75 or would that be pushing it?

Dave, I had a Powder Brown when I had the 75 setup. I QT'ed it, treated it for ich and internal parasites and it still only lived a little over a year. They are really a hard fish to get to live long. Also IMO, that fish needs a 6' tank. It would go the 4' length of the 75 in about a 1/2 sec.

Thanks Larry. I think I'll just stick with one tang just to be safe. I like the Kole Yellow Eye and they're supposed to be really good nuisance algae eaters.

Good idea Dave. I'm going to see what kind of tangs Beyond The Reef has this weekend. I'm still not sure I want another, but if I do it will be either a Kole or 2-spot bristletooth.

I'm interested to see how the LFS is. Have you ever been there before? Also, so Kathy doesn't have to flush the fish I contacted the Pet Zone in Pittston and they will take the fish for her. I spoke with her today and will be picking up the tank on Sunday.

2 smaller in a 55. Thats encouraging!! So you guys think i could get away with one purple tang in my 55?

I think you have to plan long-term... Tangs won't be so happy in a 55 as they get older and larger. I upgraded to a 240 after I had my tangs for a while in a 55, partly for that reason. Purple tangs tend to stay small, so I think it'd be fine in a 55 for a while.

Back