Tang dissapeared

Aqua_man

The Fish Guy
Hello I have 2 Clown fish and a Tang but I just came back from a 1 week vacation and when I check my tank its missing, I left enough food for 10 days its like a block of food called "Giant Plankton Banquet" I dont see it hiding in rocks so im guessing is that Clown fish ate it or idk has this happened to anyone?

He probably died from stress. A tang should never ever be in a tank that small, they need at least 6 feet of swimming room. Also that food stuff is not good food and with the death of the fish im going to predict algae problems in the near future.

Also, i highly doubt that the clowns at him, although if they were hungry enough they might have nibbled. But your tank is full of little critters that would eat him up, and if it was a small tang they could have disposed of him in a week.

Have you checked behind the tank, on the floor, around the area? Do you have cats or dogs? Tangs are not normally jumpers, but it's possible he escaped and became fish jerky.

+1 lilfish and Biff....you definitely should not have a tang in a 30g, and maybe your cuc ate the body.

Being left with an auto feeder plus being in a tank that small spelled trouble for that tang. It might have caused ammonia spikes or any number of things in a tank so small, causing more stress on the tang. How "new" is your new tank? It might have also still going through a cycle.

well the tank was given to me but friend has had it for a year but what do I do if I leave for a week any specific food but also researched on tangs and min tank size is 100 gallons. Might just add another clown fish since its easier

If you add a 3rd clownfish, the other two will likely kill it. They tend to not get along if there are more than 2 in a tank.

You could consider other fish like gobies or blennies, or cardinals.

oh ok didnt know that but just figured out that I placed in a 30 gallon tank a giant plankton banquet which is for15-20 fish I was supposed to get mini one but didnt know because im new to this stuff but idk why the guy from pet store gave me giant one if I told him I had 30 gallon tank. Lesson learned.

well if your clown fish have chosen they're sex and you add another one it might be okay cuz out of instinct they should leave it alone in case somthing happens to one of them and it could take its place, but i doubt your fish have done this

Back