Tang Police Needed

kwsm

Reefing newb
Before I get arrested, can any tangs be kept in a 55g? 48" long so it has 4 ft of swimming room that Biff mentioned in another recent post.

Yellow and Kole tangs are what I've heard suggested but they are rated on Liveaquaria as 100g and 70g respectively, but it's been my experience that they like to err on the side of caution in regards to tank capacity.

Is my tank too small and are Yellow and Kole tangs the only ones that can be kept in a smaller tank?

Every thing you read on sites like Liveaquaria, Marine Depo, ThatFish Place, and here are mearly guidelines or sugestions for you to make your decisions on. Surely you can get away with small tangs in a 55,like a Kole and Yellow, but common sense tells you when aggression and stress starts, it's time to relocate them. They should be fine while they are small, and will take some time to grow out.

+1 Reefrookie. They will be fine in a tank that size if you buy them small, but they will eventually outgrow it. I started with a yellow and kole in a 55, but after about 2 years, upgraded to the 240.

I have personal experience with a Kole tang and a yellow tang together in a 55. They were in there about 6 yrs together before I got the 125. I also think that`s the only two that would survive in that small of a tank. All others IMO need a 6 ft tank.

there are always cases where some have managed to keep tangs in such a small tank...but that's really not something i would recommend. Tangs, even baby tangs are extremely active swimmers...they need to have plenty of swimming space.

I personally would not recommend a tang in anything less than a 6 ft tank but just so im not the only jerk who is going against everyone's advice, i would recommend to get a very small tang if you must have one...rest assured that its just a matter of time before its dead in your tank tho...for tangs, plenty of swimming space is a must and a 55 gal is simply not enough imho...good luck.

I know i'm not very popular around here on this subject, but if your going to do this,please QT.Plus your very new to the game,i would google and read many,many others experiences on this very topic.What worked for one or two may not for you.......good luck...so who's the jerk(looking in mirror)

Last edited:
You called????

TangPolice.jpg

I feel a little better. I just bought a yellow tang about a week ago. I should have done my research before i bought it. Will make sure i do from now on. Its a really small one and I definatly plan on having at least a 125 in a couple of years.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not that interested in even getting a tang right now or possibly even at all, but just weighing my options as far as potential tank mates. We do plan on upgrading eventually. Probably within the next few years.

I have two tangs in my tank, babies, big as a blue chromis. I will get a bigger tank in a year or so as well. They just need room to swim and some good rock hiding places to sleep.

I see my Tang Fleet Academy crew came to the rescue before me.

If you try a tang,stick with one and one from the Ctenochaetus family-kole,tomini,bristletooth.

Back