Tang Police!!!

Wow, that's an awesome fish for a 55g tank. They only grow to 20".
Acanthurus
Acanthurus mata Cuvier 1829, the Elongate or Mata Surgeonfish. Indo-Pacific; Red Sea, eastern African coast to French Polynesia, Japan, GBR, Micronesians. Similar to A. xanthopterus lives almost exclusively on zooplankton. Long misidentified as A. bleekeri. To 50 cm.

Wow Capt. that's big. I was told the variety I got would max out at maybe 6". If he grows beyond that I will have the LFS guy come and get him, I wouldn't want to stress him. He's like a black that changed to brown with blue-green stripes.

:dunno: I'm so confused now...I guess if he gets big I'll give him some fishy tranquilizer and net him.. Wasn't expensive, but I don't want him to outgrow the tank. If I upgrade will a 120 be ok?

Wow, that's an awesome fish for a 55g tank. They only grow to 20".
Acanthurus
Acanthurus mata Cuvier 1829, the Elongate or Mata Surgeonfish. Indo-Pacific; Red Sea, eastern African coast to French Polynesia, Japan, GBR, Micronesians. Similar to A. xanthopterus lives almost exclusively on zooplankton. Long misidentified as A. bleekeri. To 50 cm.

like cc said... they get 20" long. (50 cm/2.5 cm/inch = 20").... since they don't seem to be a popular tang I can't find guidelines online for how big a tank they need. However, naso tangs need at least 125, and they only grow to 18". You might b ok in a 120, but if you can go a little higher, I think that fish would be much happier in the long run. Also you'll need a well established fuge because apparently they eat zooplankton-- pods. Has he eaten in your tank yet?

He eats the Formula 2 and I also use PE Mysis, they love it. Tonight they are getting Reef Roids zooplankton as a test and treat. So the next question I have, I guess, is how long until fish mature? And since he's so little now, will he bo ok in the 4ft. tank I have now?

Last edited:
like cc said... they get 20" long. (50 cm/2.5 cm/inch = 20").... since they don't seem to be a popular tang I can't find guidelines online for how big a tank they need. However, naso tangs need at least 125, and they only grow to 18". You might b ok in a 120, but if you can go a little higher, I think that fish would be much happier in the long run. Also you'll need a well established fuge because apparently they eat zooplankton-- pods. Has he eaten in your tank yet?

I have pods jumping out and hitting me in the face there's so many, I hope he eats them, thousands I have.

It would take him many years to grow large enough to need a bigger tank.

That's what I thought, so he's ok for a while I thought. I mean, I'm not new to fish at all, I count about 27 yrs. with a fish tank around. Also, don't fish grow relative to their tank size? Or is that just freshwater. Rest assured, if he breaches 6 inches and growing, he's gonna move, I'll sell him if I have too. But ultimately I want to move to bigger house and a much larger tank. I'd go over 200 if the budget allows, and I'm sure as long as it looks good, the wife loves the tank too, her other children she talks to..

Back