Tang question

Pauly

Reefing newb
Hey all,
So after looking around my lfs on my last few visits iv decided I want my next fish to be a tang ( regal or powder blue I can't decide which), I also know there's no way he's going in my 90litre so iv decided the only thing to do is get a bigger tank. So I have a question, is it volume or lenght I should be looking for in a tank.

Iv seen 2 tanks I like, first is a quite sleek one. 200litres and just under 5 1/2 feet long

The second is 450 litres, bow fronted but only a bit more than 4 feet long but quite deep.

Any other suggestions of a tank type greatly appretiated from people experienced in this fish.

Thanks
Paul.

neither one of those will be big enough for a regal tang.. the powder blue will be a close fit for the 450 litre, only thing is the bowfront and not length.. they need length..
A powder blue tang I would put it in nothing smaller then a 120 gallon and the regal would need a tank minimum of six feet( will be close) but would prefer 8..

Thanks very much,
I'll have to start looking at what other tanks my lfs does, luckily they also do custom made tanks so I could get a quote on an 8ft tank.

With Tangs it is more about length then actual volume of the tank

For both of those tanks, you'd want at least 6 feet. If you are talking standard size tanks, that would be anything larger than a 125 gallon / 475 Litre tank

That is assuming that tanks on your side of the pond are sold in the same standard footprints as the tanks over here

Powder blue tangs are really hard to keep - they stress out and get ich very easily - and regal tang / blue hippo really needs at least a 180g. But there are some tangs that will do okay in 90g-125g tanks. The kole eye or bristletooth tangs and a yellow tang would be okay in either of the tanks you listed above, but would need to be added towards the end of your stocking list. Good luck!

Back