Tang Tank

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah so I want a tang or 2.

I know you need a big tank for them but is it the width or just the gallons that matter.

I found a 150gal but it is not as wide as the normal 72".

It's more the width, most need 6+ feet of swimming length. You could get away with two of the smaller species in that size tank though.

+1 brian....you want swimming space...my kole tang does nothing but swim around the entire length of the tank all day long, weaving in and out of the rockwork. When I had a yellow tang, it did the same thing...swim back and forth all day long.

Shart! So I won't even bother with this tank. It is a custom made 150Gal with a bigger front viewing area. It is taller and not as wide as usual with only 1 overflow.

FUUUUUGGGGGGG!!!! The stans is custom built and it has a lot of Figi Rock and a 40Gal Sump for like $600.

Powder Blue for me and a Blue Hippo for my kid.

Others include a Clown Tang or a Naso for sure.

Not sure if I can have any now.

I don't know if I would be better off with the 180 Gal.

For The clown tang and hippo it's recommended to have an 8ft tank for both. The naso I can't say for sure but it's either 6 or 8ft.

Tall tanks are hard to fill....I had a tall 45g...I had around 60lbs of rock, but you couldn't tell because of all the open space above. Plus if you plan on having a reef tank, it's more important to get stronger light to reach deeper in the water.

I'd say a 6 or an 8 ft easily for a Naso. My Naso is doing well in my 6 ft now, but if it gets as big as some of the ones I've seen I'll either need to upgrade or rehome it

WTH 8ft tank for a Hippo Tang. I know the store over here sold like 25 of them recently so I can't believe all those people have 8 foot tanks.

Why do they even sell Tang if they need their own swimming pool haha.

Well if they can't deal with 6feet then I can't do much but keep them until they outgrow the tank.

Ids there a rule for size of Tang to size of tank. How do you know it is time to go.

Hahahaha.

There are plenty of tangs that will fit in a "smaller" tank.
The smaller bristletooths would do okay in the tank you have now.
But you would only be able to get one, I think.

+1 Erin....I would get too attached to my fish, and knowing I'd have to give it up once it outgrew my tank is not worth it. I specifically upgraded from a 45g to a 125g so I could get a tang ;)

I'm that way too, but I read a lot that said 6ft was sufficient for a Naso, which is why it ended up in my tank. Personally I think a 6 ft is fine for a hippo tang. The Naso bombs side to side in my tank, and when he wants too, he can cross the whole 6 ft with one flick of his tail. He spends about half his time bombing back and forth, an the other half just lazily hanging out with the majesctic angel, its kind of funny to see him follow the angel around

This says the naso tangs need 8 feet/240 gallons. I would think that the naso tang would need more then the hippo tang since they get like 4" larger.

Aren't clown tangs really hard to take care of?

Clown tangs are very challenging to keep. I would not recommend that anyone buy them, except for the most experienced aquarists. They normally will not live longer than a few weeks in our systems, and I believe it's one of those fish that should be left in the ocean. My LFS has had a clown tang in their display for the last few years, but this success is definitely rare with that fish.

I had a vlamingi tang in my 240 for a while. She eventually grew to be about 15 inches long, and started showing signs of stress and illness. I knew it was because the tank was just too small for her. It really saddened me to have to find her a new home. And then she killed herself! I was heartbroken.

Tangs get big.

Back