Tangs, Foxface and Veggies

Tetra1

Reefing newb
What other veggies do Tangs like, so far I have tried Zucchini, and broccoli. They gobbled them up and of course they loved the nori. What else have any of you tried feeding them? :question:

when i had my blowfish i used to feed him whole green beans and peas i would always see the magnificent fox try and take it away from him sometimes...

i would spot feed the fox peeled peas on one side of the tank while the blow-fish would be eating on the other

PS yes these were straight from the freezes peas and green bean nothing more nothing less

and if i may say so it made their colors exquisitely(<<--look i used a big word :mrgreen:) brighter:^:

About once a month I'll put an algae sheet in my tank.Other than that,all my fish are all natural algae that they pick off the rocks.

I haven't tried anything other than nori yet, but I'm sure mine would eat broccoli. I know he eats the stray chaeto that floats into my dt.

I know they will eat other vegetables, but is it actually good for them? They don't really get broccoli, peas, green beans, etc in the ocean.

Mine wouldn't touch broccoli. I feel bad giving them just the green nori day in and day out. There are some fancy types of Nori sheets that I get when I can. They come in different "colors" as their main identifier instead of naming the actual type of algae. Mine will eat the purple and brown sheets. But the red one, which actually resembles a pressed plant, was avoided by my tangs. I think I could starve them into eating it but I didn't want to since I was dealing with ich.

Well,i know i'm in the minority on this one ,and i respect what everyone else says ...I feed my tang and angel(the whole tank really)all the green veggies we eat....brussel sprouts ,spinach ect...ect....I understand they don't get it in the ocean,but they also don't get food soaked in garlic,zoe,vity C,selcon ,and whatever else people use....fact is ,they are not in the ocean anymore..IDK,it works for me ,and other methods work for others....i just think they should get a huge variety..so thats what i do

Well,i know i'm in the minority on this one ,and i respect what everyone else says ...I feed my tang and angel(the whole tank really)all the green veggies we eat....brussel sprouts ,spinach ect...ect....I understand they don't get it in the ocean,but they also don't get food soaked in garlic,zoe,vity C,selcon ,and whatever else people use....fact is ,they are not in the ocean anymore..IDK,it works for me ,and other methods work for others....i just think they should get a huge variety..so thats what i do

I can understand the leafy greens, but peas and beans just sounded strange to me. As long as it works and the fish are healthy then by all means go for it.

Yeah I don't feed my fish "land veggies" either. Just algae. I suppose it doesn't matter if you feed them beans or brussel sprouts if they end up breaking down into the same stuff that algae breaks down into when it's digested; if they are all made of the same "building blocks". I don't know that they are, and I don't know if they contain extra stuff that fish don't get from the ocean, either.

I feel my tangs prefer seafood,Rod's Food and mysis more then they prefer the seaweed sheets I feed them which btw is H2O's brown and green seaweed sheets.

Thanks for everyone's comments I like a little debate on the issue. All of the information I have read in books and I have read a lot of them say to feed them algae, and veggies, so I don't think we can go wrong anyway we do it! A little variety never hurt anyone, at least that's what my mom and dad would tell me when I had to eat something that I did not like! Keep the comments coming as I am loving this thread!

:Cheers:

I feel my tangs prefer seafood,Rod's Food and mysis more then they prefer the seaweed sheets I feed them which btw is H2O's brown and green seaweed sheets.

How are you liking that H2O food Reef? They just sent us a bunch of samples to the store for us try.They also sent us all some to try in home tanks but all I've fed is the coral food.Gotta say I AM impressed with how my corals reacted to it.

Awesome stuff Yote.Their seafood cubes(especially like mysis and mini mysis) is packed tight with much less liquid then other brands.If you ever use San Francisco brand cubes,to much liquid packed in the food.Another good product is the oyster egg cubes,much cheaper then DT,perfect to mix with cyclops for feeding corals.

Guess other vegetables might be good for our fish. Just read the ingrediets on Rods Original and it has broccoli and carrots in it and the Herbivore Blend also has baby spinich.

Back