Tangs or Angel?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Well, I'm planning on having both. My question is whether I should put the tangs (chocolate tang and either a white tail bristletooth tang or a kole tang) or the Flame angel in first. Both types are known for bullying fish added after they are, and I'm trying to minimize stress on all involved. So, tangs or angel? Clowns are going to be added last, since I had some serious bullying issues with the pair that I had in my 50.

I would add the tang first then the angel. If you get the bristletooth, add that one first mine is such a wuss I wish I had added him first. Also, the other day was the first time I've ever seen the white tail, absolutely beautiful fish.

Let me know what you find out. I'm planning on a Flame, a yellow tang, a kole yellow eye and a tomini.

I think I'm going to do the bristletooth and the chocolate first, then the angel. I still love the Kole Tang, but I just don't know about three tangs in a 90. I may try it and see how it goes. If all goes well, I'll let you know.

I'm curious to hear how it goes too, since I also have tangs (yellow, and then either a powder blue, white-tailed bristletooth, or chocolate) and a coral beauty on my list.

I'm curious to hear how it goes too, since I also have tangs (yellow, and then either a powder blue, white-tailed bristletooth, or chocolate) and a coral beauty on my list.

Fishy, your tank is really too small for a powder blue, especially since they stress out so easily and small tanks are a big source of stress. They really need a 180 or larger to live comfortably in captivity. Stick with the bristletooth and/or the chocolate, since they do well in smaller tanks! Trust me, I would love a powder brown and an achilles, but I don't want unhappy fish either. Maybe when I build my dream house, I'll just have a 250 or a 300 built in, and then I can have my dream tangs! And maybe a big angel or two, too!

Fishy, your tank is really too small for a powder blue, especially since they stress out so easily and small tanks are a big source of stress. They really need a 180 or larger to live comfortably in captivity. Stick with the bristletooth and/or the chocolate, since they do well in smaller tanks! Trust me, I would love a powder brown and an achilles, but I don't want unhappy fish either. Maybe when I build my dream house, I'll just have a 250 or a 300 built in, and then I can have my dream tangs! And maybe a big angel or two, too!

Yeah, I wondered about that with the powder blue. I'd taken it off my list just for that reason, then the LFS guys told me he'd do just fine in a 90 (and they have one in their 90g display that has done well for a long time), so I tentatively added him back on, figuring it will be at least 6 months before my first tang gets added and I'd ask advice here when the time to make a decision came. But I'll take him back off my list. As of now, I am leaning towards the bristletooth - just saw them last week on LA and think they look awesome! The chocolate was on my initial list, but I'm shying away from them a bit due to fragility. We'll see when the time gets closer!

Check liveaquaria for the required fishtank sizes for fish, fishy :) They're a great guide. I almost never listen to my lfs' advice....at least not without doing the basic research.

Samhain, my kole tang's a bitchass LOL If you were closer to me, I'd invite you over to fish him out and I'd give him to you for free LOL He's a sturdy little guy, though!

The chocolate tang is going to be much more hardy than a powder blue, you just breath the wrong way and those guys come down with ich and then BOOM dead. That LFS is very lucky to have had success with those guys in a smaller tank but I can promise you that he wont live his full span of years because of that stress.

That's what I've heard about koles! Everyone here says they can be rather belligerent, especially to fish added after them. That's why I was wondering about adding an angel and clowns after adding a kole, or any other tangs, for that matter. But then again, angels and clowns can be pretty belligerent too, so I was figuring I could get some advice on the addition order here. And y'all came through for me again!

Samhain, are you thinking of adding both tangs at the same time? LA says that the Bristletooth is peaceful and I wonder how it would do if added after the angel?

I'm thinking of adding thw white tail first, then the chocolate, and then maaaaaaayyyybe the kole tang. After that it will be the flame angel and then the clown pair.

Whatever you add after the Kole should be able to handle itself. My wife picked out the Kole instantly when I let her pick a fish for the tank. I brought it home and its been a total ass to everything else in the tank.

My Achilles is the only fish that has stood up to it

I think an angel should be able to hold his own. I hope! And clowns can be buttheads too, so they should be ok. I think. It's all really a crapshoot when it comes to the semi aggressive fish. That's why i'm agonizing over it........

I have had my kole for almost a year and it's definitely boss of the tank. Full of attitude. I still want to add a few fish to mine but I'm always wondering what I can add so that he doesn't bully them around.

I mean, my kole tang gets along great with all my fish (even the 6-line that follows him around) -- but he just doesn't like gobies and blennies at ALL. He bullied my diamond goby to death, and almost did the same to my lawnmower had I not made him his own little feeding box that the tang can't get into. I have seen him assert his bossiness towards the coral beauty once in a while, so I know he's got tendencies. Just be aware they can be mean.

Yeah, I had a lawnmower in my tank (he disappeared) and every time the kole would see him he would dart after him. My coral beauty was in that tank and something was nipping at it. Could have been the kole but not sure.

Yeah, I had a lawnmower in my tank (he disappeared) and every time the kole would see him he would dart after him. My coral beauty was in that tank and something was nipping at it. Could have been the kole but not sure.

Wow....very similar. My lmb would've starved to death if I didn't find a way to feed him. He was literally all skin and bones. Now he's looking healthy. He still can't stay out as much since the kole chases him, but he knows he has food in a box to fall back to. I've even seen the 6line in there eating some of the algae :D

Back