Tank and Pics

ElevenEleven

Reefing newb
So here are some pics of my tank. It's a 40 gallon and has been running for 1 month and 11 days.

Currently in the tank I have

1 Firefish
1 Blue Cleaner Wrasse
1Royal Gramma
2 Chromis

1 Sally Lightfoot Crab
2 Large Hermit Crabs
1 Arrow Crab
3 Turbo Snails
1 Feather Duster
1 Chocolate chip Starfish

I no longer have the condylactus anemone as I took it back to the pet shop.

12-08-2010
20101208125200193.jpg

1-09-2011
20110103193323795.jpg

As you can see it went through some changes in a months time. Rock formation changes due to removing a damsel and later a purple pseudochromis, as well as sandscape changing due to large hermit crabs plowing it constantly.

I've been having a lot of cloudy water, and from accumulative research it seems that its been an ongoing bacterial bloom. I also noticed that my marine land filter has filter cartridges that don't really come with a lot of carbon in them. It's quite skimpy on carbon actually has anyone else noticed this about power filter cartridges. I decided to go with custom cartridges and added today a bio-chem zorb pad which removes odors and pollutants from water. Now not only 2 hours later the water is clearing up. I think I'm gonna go with some of the cascade filter pad in my marine-land filter instead of their signature cartridges they seem to not make good enough use of the actual filter and I have to change them out more.

I see a pink spot on my dead rock which looks like the beginning of the spread of corraline algae from my live rock, could this be?

Also, the fish I plan to add to the list of what I already have are a flame angel and a clown, any opinions?

Remove the power filter it will cause you problems later, its also what caused your current bacterial bloom most likely. Id do some daily water changes to fix the current problem and look into something better for filtration most likely an algae scrubber or a protein skimmer, in your case a protein skimmer.

Remove the power filter it will cause you problems later, its also what caused your current bacterial bloom most likely. Id do some daily water changes to fix the current problem and look into something better for filtration most likely an algae scrubber or a protein skimmer, in your case a protein skimmer.
I do plan on getting a protein skimmer soon. However in the mean time I placed the bio-chem Zorb pads in my filter and it seems to be clearing the water up fast!. I think i just needed to change to a different filter media other than the default one which has barely any carbon.

Detritus from within your tank will get trapped in your filter which will eventually break down into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. By which none of those should be in the tank at all. Furthermore, live rock\sand will be your filter already. As it was stated, get rid of the filter you have! Good luck on your endeavors!

If you clean the media every couple weeks on that HOB it will be just fine...i have run them for years ...i actually have one on my angler tank now ..I also converted a couple into fuges with LR rubble ...its all i run..no skimmer either...just keep your stuff clean and do weekly WC's,thats my:twocents:

Here is an update on my tank guys, im 2 months into the game now.
fishtank2month.jpg

Next items up, a protein skimmer, and some more coral.
So far I only have the mushrooms you see at the bottom left which are doing great.

Edit: blue cleaner wrasse sadly vanished, however I have two healthy ocellaris.

The cleaner wrasses are obligate parasite eaters and probably starved to death, they arent recommended for aquariums because of that.

But im glad your clowns are doing well

I do plan on getting a protein skimmer soon. However in the mean time I placed the bio-chem Zorb pads in my filter and it seems to be clearing the water up fast!. I think i just needed to change to a different filter media other than the default one which has barely any carbon.

So I am curious, did you remove the filter or keep it? I am using a filter and carbon and have gotten conflicting advice about them as well.

So I am curious, did you remove the filter or keep it? I am using a filter and carbon and have gotten conflicting advice about them as well.

There's conflicting advice yeah and it's apparent why. But if you regularly clean the media/filter floss in the filter, then it would be okay.

Hello guys this is my tank 3 months in. I have made some changes to the rock structure. I felt my rock work was not open enough...especially for a coral beauty. Coralline spots are showing up on my dead rock and I've added a few creatures.

I recently added a coral beauty, cardianl bangai, and spotted tank raised mandarin. I also purchased my second coral...recently finding out it is called a green goniopora. We shall see how that does. All seems well I have gotten rid of my chromis their swimming behaviour was too zippy. My coral beauty and others are more graceful swimmers. I want to be consistent.

My nitrates are almost at 5 but how do I make that zero...will macro algae work?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back