tank behind sofa?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
The layout of our living room sucks. There is a door to downstairs, the entryway, the bathroom door, the patio door, a corner fireplace and one window. needless to say, this leaves places to put furniture at a premium. Throw in a 6 ft tank, you get the idea. I was thinking of putting the tank against one wall, then the couch directly in front of it. They are pretty much the same length, and with the stand I built, the top of the sandbed should be right even with the back of the couch. Is the noise gonna drive me nuts? I am building the stand so access can be from the front of either side. Input is appreciated as always!

Sounds dangerous. It would be in a good location to get smacked (at least at my house...) Room in the bedroom? I like to have it where I can walk by and watch it all of the time. Dining room? Kitchen? Any room anywhere?

I would say noise is a secondary problem. With the windows and the fireplace temperature control could be a problem. How warm does it get in this room in summer ? Chillers are very expensive.

I'm gonna have to disagree with other people on this one... I feel your pain, my living room has 3 walls, one has a giant window, and one has a fireplace, so there's only one free wall for "big" furniture. Hence the reason why my tank is in the dining room.

I don't think it'd look bad, so long as you don't mind having to move the couch to do maintenance. The only thing I'd be worried about is getting the couch wet. Every time you scrape the glass or feed the fish, or do anything in the tank, you will get drips. Maybe just keep a towel handy to lay across the couch whenever you do anything with the tank.

The tank behind the couch would sure make it for a sweet place to sit.I'd turn the couch around to face the tank and forget the rest of the room.

Well, I went ahead and did it, after spending the better part of the afternoon arranging furniture, it was the only set up we both liked. It's gonna be awesome to look at when sitting on the couch. There are some pics in my build thread, please give your opinions!

Back