Tank Cleaning Question

a long time ago...in a century far, far away from here... IT WAS THE 80's!!!!!!!! Im an old old fart now....

I see your dumb answer and raise you one epic dumb answer:

Come on PRC we are dying to know the question...I mean we all know the answer is 42

No dumb questions, just dumb people.

Here's the question.

I asked why I can't use a python in my saltwater tank. I saw a employees using one at the LFS. I answered my question about 2 seconds after posting.

What's funny about it, is that I thought about it, and went back to the store...went directly to the tank....It was a freshwater tank...doh.

Well, to drain the tank, don't you have to connect the Python to the tap, then turn the water on? And then you have to keep the faucet running, wasting all that water because it just goes straight down the sink?

I used to use one to do water changes. Until I figured out that a powerhead connected to some tubing works even better and doesn't waste water.

Or to save electricity,just stick one end of the hose in front of a powerhead.Once the water starts over the edge of the tank,you've got a siphon goin and clean anywhere you need to.

I think he might have been reffering to disturbing the substrate with the syphon ... You don't want to do that, right?

Sometimes I'll siphon the top 1/2 inch of my substrate.But you dont want to go any deeper than that,especially if you have a DSB.
I'll siphon just enough off the top to get any detritus that might be there out.

With my python I turn on the water to get the syphon going and then shut off the faucet, it pulls water right out with no problems.

Back