Tank Cleanup

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
Been on vacation for about 10 days or so. Got back today and I have which looks like hair algea growing all over the glass. Also all my coraline algea seems to disappear. My tank looks like crap. I tested my water and everything was within range. What made this happen and what do I need to do to try and get rid of it? My plan is to shut tank down. Scrape algea off glass and then change some water. Does this sound about right? On the happy side all my fish are accounted for. But I did lose some corals.

Why do you want to shut the tank down to clean it? I'd keep the pumps going and then clean. Then probably do a 20% water change.

But wait for the experts to respond.

by shut it down im sure you just mean the lights right? not the filter and pumps. that would be a good idea. if so make sure that no light gets in your tank. algea needs only the slightest ammount of light to thrive so cover the tank if needed. do that for about 3 days with a water change and you should see some results. glad to hear all your fish are ok

A coral dying could have started it. I agree with what others have said, do a a couple water changes, run some phosphate removal media.

who did you have watching your tank while you were gone? I have a neighbor who I literally "train" about how to manage my tanks when I am out of town. I also cut down the light cycle to about 4 hours when I am gone to minimize algae problems or cyano outbreaks (that stuff seems to sneak up on me when I am going out of town).

You have gotten some good advice thus far. Weird your coralline went away. I would totally cover up your tank with a heavy blanket if you are going to shut off lights to kill algae. If you have an anemone, be careful, cutting off light source is a sure way to have it wandering ALL OVER your tank trying to find light, stinging everything in its path

-Doc

I believe what cause it was my new lights. I had them timed for 12 hours on. I didn't even think about algea problems because I never had hair algea. Anyway, I got most of the hair algae out. Tank looks 100% better. Took me almost a whole day to get that crap out. Everyone and everything is accounted for. So now all I need to do is get my coralline back. isn't this hobby great?

yeah, it is a great hobby. I love it. Glad you were able to get things under control. vacations can be scary to come home from.

-Doc

Back