Tank Consolidation

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help.

Basically, I have decided to actually shrink my tank from the 40g breeder I have running now to a 29g tank that I haven't used in a while. Basically, I'd like to use the 40g for something else.

I have about 35-40 lbs of live rock and 25 lbs of live sand, an Odyssea ps75 skimmer and two powerbeads that churn about 1000 gph total. Sorry, I forget the brand of powerhead at the moment :s.

My goal is to build a reef tank, and I think it would be very doable in the 29g. But the real issue would be transferring my current livestock. My 40g has 2 ocellaris clowns, a six line erase, 3 orange line chromes, a neon goby, and an algae blenny for fish. In terms of inverts, there is a tiger serpent sea star, an emerald crab, a coral banded shrimp, and several astras, nassarius, and hermit crabs. I know…probably overstocked a bit. Obviously I would donate most of the fish to the LFS.

The only three fish I am set on keeping are the two clowns and the wrasse, as these were gifts. I just wanted to confirm that it would be best to stop my fish stocking with these, well maybe keep the neon goby, but that would be capacity. I also wanted to know if the coral banded shrimp would be too big. He's fully grown now and seems enormous even in the 40g sometimes. In terms of coral, my trumpet sadly had red slime algae attaching to it, so I am worried it will not last. Other than that, I only have a gorgonia. I would be mainly keeping soft corals, maybe an LPS or two at most.

I'm really not planning the move for another month or so, I'm trying to kill off as much of the algae (I have cyanobacteria from using tap water) to prevent a bloom in the smaller tank.

I think those 4 fish would be fine, but watch for aggression. Remember the 40 is 36x18 and the 29 is 30x12. Footprint is more important than height. I'm not a fan of coral banded shrimp, so ill let somebody else answer that. Hope that helps!

I do realize the risk is there, but I would not consider it unless the fish's behavior over the last 4-5 months indicated they do not have issues. This wrasse is surprisingly peaceful, and I have never seen him chase any of the others. Plus, as the other three are all open-water swimmers, so the wrasse would be able to dart in and out of the rock work without any interruptions.

The clownfish really just hang with each other, I assume they are a mated pair after being bought within a week of each other.

And the neon goby will help maintain the health of the others, plus he's small and generally lays around bothering nobody until he's hungry.

I would definitely say the shrimp is my biggest concern.

Back