tank cycle??? Maybe

imdaring

love my reef
well as you all might know I got the new 90 gal set up I had stored 64 gal of water that I had been taking out of my 55 gal during my water changes, and then I had all my RO water ready in a heated tote for the rest... HOPING THAT THE TANK WOULD NOT CYCLE!!!!! checked the PPMs today and my

Nitrates 20ppm
Nitrites 0
PH 9.0 with a test kit but with my digital tester its at 7.76??? so hmm on that one
amonia 0
cal. 420
KH 143.2

I also have not hooked up the skimmer I was hoping that the algea scrubber would do the trick do you think I should hook it up till the scrubber is up and running with a full film of algea on it ??
90galtankbuild009.jpg

your nitrates being at 20 doesnt mean its cycling, if you were going to have a cycle you would most likely have a huge ammonia spike and have visible nitrites appearing.

I dont think you have to worry.

But get to doing a few water changes, its about that time with your nitrates at that level.

I just set the tank up on the 3rd it has a total of about 130 gal with the sump so it just had a total of about 66 gal of fresh mixed salt RO water? I was shocked that my nitrates were even at 20.. but I hope your right about the cycle there is no amonia at all the color in the test tube was even lighter then the lightest color on the chart...
your nitrates being at 20 doesnt mean its cycling, if you were going to have a cycle you would most likely have a huge ammonia spike and have visible nitrites appearing.

I dont think you have to worry.

But get to doing a few water changes, its about that time with your nitrates at that level.

Well, if your using old water from water changes is it possible there were elements of higher nitrates in that? I say dont worry, but you may have just had some fish stress slightly after you put them in creating more waste.

Did you use the same sand from your old tank? if so, that could have had some ammonia release into the water creating your nitrates if you didnt rinse it out properly. Just do some water changes and watch the ammonia. :)

good point I'll pic a new one up, the nitrate test is old, the ph test issome what new but I have a hrd time reading them some of the colors are so close I wish the had a all in one electronic test that would sit in the water and read it all on its own, I KNOW LAZY, lol
Just a thought, but how old is you nitrate test kit? It could be reading wrong like your PH kit.

Last edited:
Back