Tank cycle question

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
Should I keep adding food to the tank during the cycle or stop after the ammonia spikes? Right now ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 5.

If you are just finished your cycle, and those nitrates are your only readings, your nitrates can be controlled by water changes, and you can start adding your fist fish.

But remember if you're new to the hobby, get a hardier fish and acclimate it proper and monitor your numbers and be patient.

Enjoy!

If you are just finished your cycle, and those nitrates are your only readings, your nitrates can be controlled by water changes, and you can start adding your fist fish.

But remember if you're new to the hobby, get a hardier fish and acclimate it proper and monitor your numbers and be patient.

Enjoy!
My tank has only been up and running for about a month now so I would be surprised if the cycle is done already but it may be. I thought about getting some clean up crew tomorrow.

Had the ammonia ever spiked? If so, then your cycle is complete. But to answer your question, to start the cycle, the tank only needs to be fed once, so no need to keep feeding, especially after you get ammonia and nitrites. :)

Had the ammonia ever spiked? If so, then your cycle is complete. But to answer your question, to start the cycle, the tank only needs to be fed once, so no need to keep feeding, especially after you get ammonia and nitrites. :)
Yeah, it spiked to 5ppm if you can call that a spike.

Back