Tank cycling

Jimbo662

Reefing newb
Hopefully within the next two weeks I'll have my tank ready to fill (175g). I've got 150lb of eco rock from BRS to go in the tank. I had also been planning to buy 30-40lb of live rock at the LFS. I've got 30lb of rock in my 29g that's been running for about 5 mths. Question is...if I move the current 30lb into the new tank would that be enough to cut down or even eliminate the cycle time? or is it even possible to avoid cycling?

The answer is variable and depends on a number of factors that we can't accurately measure.

It is possible to skip the cycle but it's also quite risky. I Recommend just cycling the new tank. You can just u we one piece of live rock and the dry rock you bought to do that. This will promote a healthy bacteria culture for the tank.

If you have livestock in the old and switching the rock over could work or it couldn't. If it doesn't that livestock would have nowhere to go unless you moved everything back or did constant water changes.

I've got two clowns some polyps and the clean up crew in the 29. I'll just stick to my original plan and buy the extra LR.

Back